Chumash? Found in Los Padres National Forest, CA.

SunMan

Mar 20, 2024
Any identification help appreciated. Thought it was natural at first but the more I look at it it seems like markings are tapped like a petroglyph and the hole seems too sharp. Thoughts from the experts?
IMG_3210.jpeg

IMG_3209.jpeg

IMG_3208.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3206.jpeg
    IMG_3206.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 118
  • IMG_3205.jpeg
    IMG_3205.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 105
Last edited:
Upvote 4

Jatrox

Jan 22, 2024
Kansas
If it was in a National Forest, you should have photographed it and left it... pretty sure taking it is illegal. It is in my state anyway. But it is man made in my opinion

OP
OP
S

SunMan

Mar 20, 2024
Thank you for the information. I did not know that to be the case for national forests, I knew it was a no-no in national parks. I Will look into it. There is a local natural history museum I will take it to if it turns out to be a legit artifact.

Last edited:

Jatrox

Jan 22, 2024
Kansas
Pretty sure National anything is off limits but it's worth looking into for your state and sake if nothing else. The Chumash is still an active tribe. Maybe reaching out to them is an option too? To me, it is an artifact for sure. There is nothing about that piece that looks natural.

Buckleberry

Sep 4, 2010
Even as an honest mistake, you could get into some serious legal issues with holding onto that if it is indeed an artifact, which is questionable.
ignorantia juris non excusat (Latin for "ignorance of the law excuses not"), or ignorantia legis neminem excusat ("ignorance of law excuses no one"), is a legal principle holding that a person who is unaware of a law may not escape liability for violating that law merely by being unaware of its content.

OP
OP
S

SunMan

Mar 20, 2024
Even as an honest mistake, you could get into some serious legal issues with holding onto that if it is indeed an artifact, which is questionable.

Understood. This is not a hobby of mine, I was just on a backpacking trip when I came upon it, and am curious as to what it is. To the previous post, yes the Chumash are active and I was planning on pursuing local options to identify it when I discovered this site.
Appreciate all of the input and any further information. If I manage to identify via local means I will update here.

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
Well it looks crooked and the hole well I’m sure the OP knows just like I do. But how about some clear pictures of the hole both sides?

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You can take rocks from the National Forests. All of them. All US National Forests have the exact same rules. You can take a small amount of any kind of rock, you can detect for coins and such. You can’t dig or disturb known archaeological sites. I rock hunt in Shawnee Nat. For. in So IL. I stopped at their office and verified the above info.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It violates federal law to remove artifacts from any federal property, with that said you are probably safe as I don't think it is indian artifact, looks more like a fossil, the hole has no signs of being drilled when blown up, but a close up in focus of both sides of hole would help.

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It violates federal law to remove artifacts from any federal property, with that said you are probably safe as I don't think it is indian artifact, looks more like a fossil, the hole has no signs of being drilled when blown up, but a close up in focus of both sided of hole would help.
Looks like photo 1 &2 are the 2 different sides.
Going on the tick marks at 3 o'clock and 10:30, larger area at 6:30 in photo 1
Which means the hole goes through probably, as it looks different in each photo
Screen Shot 2024-03-21 at 8.19.12 AM.png
Screen Shot 2024-03-21 at 8.19.49 AM.png

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Federal Government being the Federal Government, perhaps it might be better to follow the, "Don't ask, don't tell" policy. Just saying....

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like photo 1 &2 are the 2 different sides.
Going on the tick marks at 3 o'clock and 10:30, larger area at 6:30 in photo 1
Which means the hole goes through probably, as it looks different in each photo View attachment 2138559 View attachment 2138560
Unfortunately pictures are out of focus when blown up but pictures as is, the hole looks natural from both sides, don't see any sign of drilling, but again they are out of focus.

OP
OP
S

SunMan

Mar 20, 2024
Thanks for the responses. I did include both sides in both sets of photos, I updated them as the first one was out of focus. Will delete first set to avoid confusion.
Agree the uneven shape seems odd, but the ticks and holes are what got me thinking it might be something.
Also of note, I haven’t been able to push anything thru the holes, so don’t know if it is blocked or does not pass through.

xracer550

Oct 31, 2012
Palmdale , CA
Detector(s) used
Goldbug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You can take rocks from the National Forests. All of them. All US National Forests have the exact same rules. You can take a small amount of any kind of rock, you can detect for coins and such. You can’t dig or disturb known archaeological sites. I rock hunt in Shawnee Nat. For. in So IL. I stopped at their office and verified the above info.
Here in California (Angeles Nat. forest) I was collecting rocks for my Pond landscape when the Ranger asked if I had a permit , I did know I needed one He said they where free for personal use , They do not want landscapers & contractors collecting all the rocks & said he could give me a ticket but the whole group was on fire duty & only gave me a warning .

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
Here in California (Angeles Nat. forest) I was collecting rocks for my Pond landscape when the Ranger asked if I had a permit , I did know I needed one He said they where free for personal use , They do not want landscapers & contractors collecting all the rocks & said he could give me a ticket but the whole group was on fire duty & only gave me a warning .
Yes you have to be careful with state owned land. Once when my daughter was little I took her to a park and showed her the fossils that were in the bottom of the spring. Lo and behold the Ranger was waiting on me when I surfaced. Live and learn

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread