Bucket Lister

Dec 20, 2023
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus II
XP MI-6
XP WSA II-XL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What's the material, size, any other info if known?

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, we need a whole lot more info than what you have posted. What kind of collection is this part of?

Digginitdaily

Apr 24, 2023
If it is a bannerstone that crescent moon style is from the southeast. I say if because I don't know if it has I hole in the center. It looks like slate.

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Def not a gorget and Miss River thru Ohio ?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thread moved to indian artifact forum.

Can you please provide more close up pictures, pictures of all sides and especially close up of the notches.

When only picture is blown up it has what appears to be a lot of straight line scratches, more pictures will reveal if they are on all sides. Straight scratches are not usually a good sign.

Digginitdaily

Apr 24, 2023
Thread moved to indian artifact forum.

Can you please provide more close up pictures, pictures of all sides and especially close up of the notches.

When only picture is blown up it has what appears to be a lot of straight line scratches, more pictures will reveal if they are on all sides. Straight scratches are not usially a good sign.
I didn't think about that. After I blew up the picture it looks more like limestone.

Bucket Lister

Dec 20, 2023
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus II
XP MI-6
XP WSA II-XL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hopefully these will help...
Definitely! 😁

It's quite a bit smaller than I had envisioned.
Curious artifacts, these bannerstones; I'm enjoying learning/reading about them.

Apparently, there's quite some diversity in shapes, despite similarities in form...
1711032980636.png

There also seems to be some controversy as to their function (most relate it to the atlatl). Looking at these pics, and considering the smaller size, I'm wondering if a bannerstone were not an accessory of the atlatl, but an accessory of the spear instead(?) Could they have been a type of fletching? Then why stone instead of wood, bone, or some other lighter material? To provide extra umph (weight) to the spear in order to penetrate thicker/tougher hides? :dontknow:

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It'd be a kick ass gorget though! Id plug up the drill and pop a couple holes in that bad boy and call it Cherokee bling!
Not me!!! If found by myself it would be HIGH on the TOP shelf!!!!!!!!🍾

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
It’s very nice for the shelf but just my opinion and it looks like a reproduction but a very nice reproduction. Sometimes collectors will buy things they don’t find to round off the collection. I’ve never found a BannerStone but would like to.

Digginitdaily

Apr 24, 2023
Definitely! 😁

It's quite a bit smaller than I had envisioned.
Curious artifacts, these bannerstones; I'm enjoying learning/reading about them.

Apparently, there's quite some diversity in shapes, despite similarities in form...
View attachment 2138603

There also seems to be some controversy as to their function (most relate it to the atlatl). Looking at these pics, and considering the smaller size, I'm wondering if a bannerstone were not an accessory of the atlatl, but an accessory of the spear instead(?) Could they have been a type of fletching? Then why stone instead of wood, bone, or some other lighter material? To provide extra umph (weight) to the spear in order to penetrate thicker/tougher hides? :dontknow:
I would think it is similar to how the grain weight works for bullets. The heavier it is the harder it hits. Maybe that makes sense.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread