What's new

cigarette container?

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2008
Messages
12,783
Reaction score
143
Golden Thread
0
Location
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I found this detecting St, Johns island SC at an old church yard. I was thinking maybe a cigarette container. What would the approximate age of this be?
 

Attachments

  • 115_0885.webp
    115_0885.webp
    109.2 KB · Views: 405
  • 115_0886.webp
    115_0886.webp
    66.7 KB · Views: 430
Yep!! Looks like a cigarette box to me. Tony
 
Upvote 0
Looks only big enough to hold Camel's or Lucky's........NGE
 
Upvote 0
notgittinenny ( treasures ) said:
Looks only big enough to hold Camel's or Lucky's........NGE

yep--some sort of unfiltered cig. :)
 
Upvote 0
Pall Mall and Chesterfields were longer though unfiltered....NGE
 
Upvote 0
Depending on how old it is, there were no "king size" cigarettes for years. It undoubtedly had a liner glued inside at one time. No idea of it's age, but prior to there being king size cigarettes. Oh, and I agree it's a cigarette box. Monty
 
Upvote 0
notgittinenny ( treasures ) said:
Looks only big enough to hold Camel's or Lucky's........NGE

Those were poular in the day. My dad smoked non-filter camels and my friends mom smoke pallmall's :-\
 
Upvote 0
Judging from the scale of the penny its about 3 x 3 inches ....the depth looks a little thin for cigarettes...can you tell us what the depth is ...
 
Upvote 0
Gypsy Heart said:
Judging from the scale of the penny its about 4 x 4 inches ....the depth looks a little thin for cigarettes...can you tell us what the depth is ...
The one pictured in my link is 5-3/4 x 4-1/2. It does look a bit thin but so does mine. Maybe the top lid is thinner than the base. :-\

Circa: 1940-1960
Size: 5 3/4 in across x 4 1/2 long
Color: Ivory and Gold
Type: Chesterfield CrownTin Cigarette Case
Country of Origin: United States
 
Upvote 0
I just measured an old Lucky Strike tin we have here at home....the depth is 1/2 inch....a cigarette is 1/4 inch .......
 
Upvote 0
Gypsy Heart said:
I just measured an old Lucky Strike tin we have here at home....the depth is 1/2 inch....a cigarette is 1/4 inch .......
Is the top lid thinner than the base?
 
Upvote 0
top lid is about 1/8th or two stacked pennies....I remeasured the scale above and it was suppose to be 3 x 3 ....not 4x 4........also a cig without filter is about 2 1/2 inches
 
Upvote 0
I found something simalar to that last spring. It was full of old wooden matches, but I dont know if that was the correct usage for it.
 
Upvote 0
The ones I have seen didn't hold a whole pack of smokes so they wouldn't have to be thick enough to hold a pack. There were some old plastic ones that held a pack as I recall. Monty
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom