Circa 1812 antebellum home find

Yakamo

Jul 26, 2015
Frogmore louisiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro & Garrett Gti 2500. Pro pointer & whites trx
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this today by the mailbox of an old antebellum home it's about 3in diameter. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
It has a 2 stamped on the inside on one of the 3 notches. It's made of like a brass or something like that a magnet won't stick to it

doublet2a

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2007
Lindsay, California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov. Elite 5", 8" & 10" coils. EXP II 8" & 10" coils with inline Sunray pin pointer. AT Pro 8" & 10" Coils, Equinox 600 10" and 5" coils.
Looks like a door look outer housing with the gets missing.

Tim

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Yakamo

Yakamo

Jul 26, 2015
Frogmore louisiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah that seems about what it is. Thanks a lot.

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems a bit big and heavy for that.....any mounting holes, bosses, or threads?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Yakamo

Yakamo

Jul 26, 2015
Frogmore louisiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No mounting holes or threads and it is pretty heavy It could be a door lock but I'm not completely sold. I found it where the Carriages would have been pulling to so I thought it was a peice off the center of a wheel

Upvote 0

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It looks like part of a vintage lamp post light or floor lamp.

WELCOME to the FORUM!

:)
Breezie

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Part of a deadbolt lock, the threads would be on the center of the lock itself.... I've installed at least 1000 of them and that is definitely what it is

Yep

Upvote 0

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a pic of a Schlage deadbolt with the center in hand look at the comparison of the OPs hand and the one in pic you can see the size is real close. images.jpg

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Part of a deadbolt lock, the threads would be on the center of the lock itself.... I've installed at least 1000 of them and that is definitely what it is
I've installed a few myself, but the OP's one just looks beefier than anything I've played with. Maybe I was too cheap to buy a good one! :laughing7:. All the ones I've installed were stamped brass, brass plated steel, or stainless. His looks cast/machined. Also he says his is about 3" in diameter whereas the ones I see are less than 2 1/2" with most around 2 1/4". Maybe they made them much better back in the day? I'm not sure when they started the modern looking deadbolt, but I don't remember seeing them on old houses......places made before 1940 or so.....were they used back then?:dontknow:

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions