Civil War Axe Head?

May 17, 2018
Downsville, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max, Fisher F-75
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Found this large axe head at a Civil War battlefield site in South Louisiana a couple of days ago! There was a lot of built up Confederate entrenchments in the area but also years of sugarcane farming! Would love to hear from the experts of a way of dating certain shapes and sizes of axe heads! Saw a couple of online carts but hard to tell the difference between each one without being a "axe man"! I know it's NOT a artillery shell or cannonball but love to figure out a little history of this recent find! Thanks for any and all help!

Axe Head 1.jpg
The mud was so thick, it stuck to the axe head like cement!

Axe Head 2.jpg
After a light cleaning but before electrolysis!

Axe Head 3.jpg

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
a8340ebe016cd7a2bc902201671bca8c.jpg 5c1e006c2e41b8c0c489d6430f34fbec.jpg nice find.

Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
From what I can dig up the Federal Issue Axe of the period looks like the "Baltimore Kentucky" or the "Jersey" from the above diagram. A polled head with lips (flat back and those cheeks on either side of the hole that give additional wood contact for support).

The Confederates were less formal in what equipment was used.

Upvote 0

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Confederates were less formal in what equipment was used.
lol thats one way of putting it. More like they had to scrape together anything they could, including clothing. Most items brought by the soldiers themselves.

Upvote 0

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find looks like the real deal!!!!!!!

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
lol thats one way of putting it. More like they had to scrape together anything they could, including clothing. Most items brought by the soldiers themselves.

Sorry to hijack this thread, but this statement is a popular myth. Early in the war, many Confederate units wore commutation system jackets as well as captured Federal uniforms, but from 1864 onward, Lee's Army of Northern Virginia had a standard uniform supplied by the CSA.

By 1864, the Confederacy had established enough infrastructure to have decent supply depots and supply line logistics (Western theater is the exception). This is evidenced by photographs of Confederate soldiers, killed in action or as prisoners, in the vicinity of Petersburg (Spring 1865) and surviving examples of uniforms. Close scrutiny of photos shows soldiers well clothed in jackets, vests, trousers, and even new shoes.

DCMatt
Private - 13th Virginia Infantry, Company I - Reenacted

https://www.13thva.com/

Upvote 0

Thom_Parham

Tenderfoot
Nov 5, 2018
Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vacquero, Nautlius MF
Primary Interest:
Other

Actually, by the end of the second year of the war, the Confederate States began doing a pretty good job of distributing uniforms to their people. You had many patterns being produced in Richmond, Columbus Georgia, even in Ireland. They kept good records when those uniforms were being handed out, too. Not so much with shoes, or hardware like axes. They definitely had to make due with what they brought with them, found, or "requisitioned".

Upvote 0

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to hijack this thread, but this statement is a popular myth. Early in the war, many Confederate units wore commutation system jackets as well as captured Federal uniforms, but from 1864 onward, Lee's Army of Northern Virginia had a standard uniform supplied by the CSA.

By 1864, the Confederacy had established enough infrastructure to have decent supply depots and supply line logistics (Western theater is the exception). This is evidenced by photographs of Confederate soldiers, killed in action or as prisoners, in the vicinity of Petersburg (Spring 1865) and surviving examples of uniforms. Close scrutiny of photos shows soldiers well clothed in jackets, vests, trousers, and even new shoes.

DCMatt
Private - 13th Virginia Infantry, Company I - Reenacted

https://www.13thva.com/

Weird I was taught differently. I was taught supplies were limited in the beginning of then war, then again when the union starting attacking supply lines like rail roads.

Upvote 0

kudzu74

Jul 31, 2018
MiSSiSSiPPi
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 & Garrett Pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
O boy, battle lines have been drawn...here we go again...:laughing7:

Upvote 0

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice find on the axehead. A hunting buddy found one almost exactly like the one you have there. He found his in close proximity to a trench line.

Upvote 0

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The Confederate Army and how they were uniformed from 1861 in the beginning until wars end in 1865. I won't get into a heated debate, but I will say this....the facts are right in front of us. Do the research. There are hundreds of books with pic's of the armies and how they appeared throughout that Terrible war. Research, Research, Research. One might just be surprised.

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do the research. One might just be surprised.

I know I was surprised.

I'm not saying there weren't any problems with supply lines or that Confederate troops were as well supplied as their Federal counterpart, but the notion of the ragged and starving Rebel soldier borders on legend.

One of my favorite research methods is reading letters from Civil War soldiers. There are hundreds of them posted on the Net.

I read a letter from a Union soldier who marched captured Confederates into his camp. He told his wife that his first order of business was finding trousers for all of them because they were so torn and tattered that he thought it was indecent.

I also read a letter from a Confederate soldier in the fortifications near Petersburg very late in the war. He was complaining that someone had stolen the butter out of his package/box from home - but the ham meat and jam was still in it.

Upvote 0

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
I love old dug axe heads, I have a bunch, I think I have a problem):

Upvote 0

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Who else but the Confederate Army could have waged war such as they did for 4 years? Many of the Confederate soldiers and their regiments were uniformed in Grey as they left their homes early in the wars beginning. As the war waged on and the Union had the Southern sea ports bottled up, it became a tremendous hardship for the South to export cotton with England for trade for the things needed for the Confedrate Army. Supplies such as arms, buttons, and dye for uniforms to name only a few things needed. By early 1863 it was said that no two Confederate soldiers looked alike. By this time many soldiers began receiving uniform clothing (hand sewn) from the homefront. Many Reb's by this time were wearing civilian trousers and a variation of captured or jackets sent from home. Rebs would many times liberate uniform clothing and footwear from captured Yanks. This was many times done not out of meanness, but out of necessity. One of my favorite all time pic's of late war Confetrit's is the one entitled "Lee's Men". This is a pic. of 3 captured Confetrit's at the Battle of Gettysburg July 1-3, 1863. The pic.shows the 3 Reb's standing and sitting definately st and upon some fence rails while attempting to obtain their individual identity. From everything you read, this pic. captures the Confetrit's appearance as they would have looked from 1863 to the wars end. I have this pic. hanging in my History room or my Hy

Upvote 0

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
23F03ED7-1D3C-440F-970C-D78895780CAD.jpeg

I’ve always like this picture of what confederate enlisted men must have looked like in the letter years of the war

I think these guys are from the western theater, Missouri or Arkansas

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions