civil war badge?

T

timataeo

I found this while digging an old homestead in NE Indiana. It seems to be like a tin with a filler in the back, and 3 tabs where there were pins sticking out. There are no markings at all.It's fairly heavy for it's size.

Attachments

• treasure 003.jpg
    treasure 003.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 350
  • treasure 004.jpg
    treasure 004.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 355

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Re: badge?

Harness or saddle ornament. Thin, die-stamped brass backfilled with lead. Sometimes attributed as a Texas or Mississippi star device from the Civil War, and may indeed have seen wartime usage; however, it appears to have been civilian in origin. Listed as an "unknown shield" on p. 81 of Stanley S. Phillips' Excavated Artifacts from Battlefields and Campsites of the Civil War, 1861-1865. Also listed on p. 61 of Supplement I to the same book: "Unknown brass shield with solder-filled back. Possibly breast plate for horse harness. Variant sizes have been found."

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

timataeo

I did think it is lead filled, and a friend said that he thought it was civil war and maybe confederate, or even a shield from a strong box. Thank you for the information.

Upvote 0

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

PBK said:
Harness or saddle ornament. Thin, die-stamped brass backfilled with lead. Sometimes attributed as a Texas or Mississippi star device from the Civil War, and may indeed have seen wartime usage; however, it appears to have been civilian in origin. Listed as an "unknown shield" on p. 81 of Stanley S. Phillips' Excavated Artifacts from Battlefields and Campsites of the Civil War, 1861-1865. Also listed on p. 61 of Supplement I to the same book: "Unknown brass shield with solder-filled back. Possibly breast plate for horse harness. Variant sizes have been found."
:P :-* :-* ;)

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread