Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was doing some scouting for a new site yesterday. I'd been to the beach Friday and Saturday with some nice finds but nothing spectacular. So yesterday headed off in a different direction. I have been known to knock on doors before and the gentleman said sure, go ahead and dig. It was a small farm with less woods on it.

There was a heavily hunter CW camp or something there, plus a long time gone house or two. I wandered about for about 2 hours with little to show for it. I was doing a zig zag pattern, so nothing planned, since I didn't know the site. Found a fair amount of shotgun shell bases and then some square nails and then ration can and junk iron. Finally got some scrap lead and a couple eagle buttons. Only 1 bullet a Washington Arsenal. Did find a modern 22 in wood which I left, couldn't get it out.

So I went into what I thought would be a very snaky area later this spring and found what was left of a HUGE copper kettle. It consisted of the rim, handle and 4" of raggedy brass handing down all around it. (don't tell anybody that dung-for-brains, while knowing a wire fence was there - tripped and fell flat on my face over it). Well, there were the large pieces of brass from the copper or brass, I guess brass, pot so I started digging them up. After all you never know....

There was a good bit of broken glass in this very shallow area. Then I started more like scratching with the shovel than digging. Up pops a McCormick & Co. Baltimore clear glass bottle. From the style it's early 20th century. So I scratched some more, and up pops a "Garrett & Co. Virginia Dare Extract" bottle. It also looks either late 19th or early 20th century. Lots of broken whiskey bottles, clear, amber and green. Broken isn't the word - shattered is.

Anyway, cool Bottle. Never saw one but I mainly have 18th century black glass bottles, which these are not. so I dug a little deeper. To my shock after all the broken pieces (lots of broken stuff) I see another smooth, dark line in the dirt. I got the strap sided Amber whiskey out intact. It still needs more cleaning as has a stain still inside. I could only do so much overnight. May have a slight ding on the lip or it could be a casting flaw, can't tell right now.

I hadn't run the detector in awhile and in this 3' square area, not deep, I'm getting big brass targets, so cleared off some more ground. And then another glimmer - no but wait - 2 glimmers, a bluish mustard bottle and a near perfect Union with cannons and flag and on the other side clasped hands and a mountain. Some kind of whiskey flask. These had very little dirt in them. Go figure. Mud had the necks clogged, so they were laying there all this time, empty.

One more run of the detector and the "brass trash" was an NCO belt buckle. First one I've ever had. Knock me over with a feather.

Now I'm certain two of the bottles are not Civil War. The Amber, I'm not sure of but it's the only amber I've ever dug. The mustard I'm pretty sure is CW as is the aqua flask. I'll have to do some more research. I own a couple of the mustards I bought awhile back, but with the exception of an umbrella ink I dug a year and half ago, these are the first bottles I've found in 20 years. I'm so excited I may have to call out a mental health day today! But I guess I won't. And it hunts too much to go dirt fishing today IMG_1156.JPG IMG_1155.JPG IMG_1154.JPG IMG_1153.JPG IMG_1152.JPG

Upvote 32
OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found info on the little Virginia Dare bottle, apparently that is a harder to get sample size.

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That buckle is awesome!!! I'd a died right there on the spot. Congrats!!

HH, Relic Nut

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I got so excited I jumped in the truck and left 3 hours early to come home. Didn't get the keeper on the buckle, but this is my third big CW brass in 2016. I think the strap sides amber is just AFTER the Civil War. Not too sure.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love all those finds, I would love to find a buckle like that!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cleaned up real nice. I had one I bought years ago almost exactly like it but sold it due to buying something else I didn't need.

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
GREAT, finds...d2

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice Congrats :occasion14:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now that's a hunt to remember. Congrats on the buckle and bottles. :occasion14:

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was a HELLAVA cold call!!!!!! CONGRATZ....

Aquila

Jun 9, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 150, Golden mask 3
Nice civil war finds. Like that cannon bottle and buckle very much

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
The Civil War flask is a killer find. They are always broken. Congrats on the buckle as well.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the bottle is higher priced than the buckle. Can't find one exactly like it but I haven't looked hard.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread