Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was doing some scouting for a new site yesterday. I'd been to the beach Friday and Saturday with some nice finds but nothing spectacular. So yesterday headed off in a different direction. I have been known to knock on doors before and the gentleman said sure, go ahead and dig. It was a small farm with less woods on it.

There was a heavily hunter CW camp or something there, plus a long time gone house or two. I wandered about for about 2 hours with little to show for it. I was doing a zig zag pattern, so nothing planned, since I didn't know the site. Found a fair amount of shotgun shell bases and then some square nails and then ration can and junk iron. Finally got some scrap lead and a couple eagle buttons. Only 1 bullet a Washington Arsenal. Did find a modern 22 in wood which I left, couldn't get it out.

So I went into what I thought would be a very snaky area later this spring and found what was left of a HUGE copper kettle. It consisted of the rim, handle and 4" of raggedy brass handing down all around it. (don't tell anybody that dung-for-brains, while knowing a wire fence was there - tripped and fell flat on my face over it). Well, there were the large pieces of brass from the copper or brass, I guess brass, pot so I started digging them up. After all you never know....

There was a good bit of broken glass in this very shallow area. Then I started more like scratching with the shovel than digging. Up pops a McCormick & Co. Baltimore clear glass bottle. From the style it's early 20th century. So I scratched some more, and up pops a "Garrett & Co. Virginia Dare Extract" bottle. It also looks either late 19th or early 20th century. Lots of broken whiskey bottles, clear, amber and green. Broken isn't the word - shattered is.

Anyway, cool Bottle. Never saw one but I mainly have 18th century black glass bottles, which these are not. so I dug a little deeper. To my shock after all the broken pieces (lots of broken stuff) I see another smooth, dark line in the dirt. I got the strap sided Amber whiskey out intact. It still needs more cleaning as has a stain still inside. I could only do so much overnight. May have a slight ding on the lip or it could be a casting flaw, can't tell right now.

I hadn't run the detector in awhile and in this 3' square area, not deep, I'm getting big brass targets, so cleared off some more ground. And then another glimmer - no but wait - 2 glimmers, a bluish mustard bottle and a near perfect Union with cannons and flag and on the other side clasped hands and a mountain. Some kind of whiskey flask. These had very little dirt in them. Go figure. Mud had the necks clogged, so they were laying there all this time, empty.

One more run of the detector and the "brass trash" was an NCO belt buckle. First one I've ever had. Knock me over with a feather.

Now I'm certain two of the bottles are not Civil War. The Amber, I'm not sure of but it's the only amber I've ever dug. The mustard I'm pretty sure is CW as is the aqua flask. I'll have to do some more research. I own a couple of the mustards I bought awhile back, but with the exception of an umbrella ink I dug a year and half ago, these are the first bottles I've found in 20 years. I'm so excited I may have to call out a mental health day today! But I guess I won't. And it hunts too much to go dirt fishing today IMG_1156.JPG IMG_1155.JPG IMG_1154.JPG IMG_1153.JPG IMG_1152.JPG

Upvote 32
OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My amber is similar but does not have any letters on the bottom. Blue one is pontiled. I had an old flask 20 years ago but ran out of money and had to sell it. That was a Baltimore Glassworks flask. Got it at a local auction cheap (in the 80's.)

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great CW relics , you are fortunate and humble , what a Dream site :headbang:

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! You had a great day. I know everyone so far is congratulating you for the buckle and it is indeed a great find. That clasped hands flask is a killer! Very nice. I think that is an eagle on the other side of the flask. Looks like you are in an old dump site for sure.

Last edited:

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gorgeous plate and the bottles are nice as well! Great saves!!! :occasion14:

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super cool aqua eagle flask ! I have never dug a whole one, always just pieces :occasion14:

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I liked the bottles the best. The blue one, the amber one and the Virginia Dare Elixir are equal favorites. I'm surprised they weren't smashed. The area has enough broken glass to have made another 25 more bottles. I am VERY happy with what I have.

Today I went to another new site looking for where a meterorite 20 years ago and found all the aluminum in the entire world and a colonial flat button. Go figure.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Whatta dig smokey! That belt buckle sure has some great detail on it. You might know this but I think that type of buckle had a silver wreath that often rotted away because of oxizidation. It still looks great those and congrats on the bottles too.

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice glass and buckle

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a sort of decent close up of the bottom and side of the amber bottle. Top was hand applied. Seam does not go all the way to the top. Is this one Civil War? I had always thought a little later. IMG_0586.JPG IMG_0588.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread