Civil War Bullet ID?

Fullstock

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this bullet today in Virginia today and I've never seen another one quite like it before. It appears to be about 54 caliber and has a swaged base with what appears to be a letter T in the base. I believe it was shot or carved on. Any ideas what it is?

Bullet1.jpg

Bullet2.jpg

snapler

Tenderfoot
Jul 17, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
there are plenty of gun nuts... sorry, enthusiasts on youtube... hit up one of them. given how it does not look metal (as in something a detector would pick up i am going to side on carving. the answer may lie in the location it was found.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Fullstock

Fullstock

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's made of lead Snapler, and I did find it with the detector. Thank you for your suggestions.

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It is a .58-caliber "six-arm swaged" yankee minie bullet. There is no .54 version of that bullet. The actual correct terminology is "Machine Pressed & Turned" which means a bullet-making machine compressed a slug of lead into a bullet shape, and the machine then lathe-cut the body grooves into the bullet's exterior. Yes, a little of your bullet's original length has been carved off of its base. No such bullets were manufactured with a letter T stamped into the base, so what you are seeing must be an accidental result of the swaging/lathing process, or was done by the person who carved on your bullet..

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Fullstock

Fullstock

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Cannon ball guy, I appreciate the ID.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread