Civil war bullet school gives up lighters, scout camp gives up an almost silver spoon and game tabs all over

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DAY 1
Not a lot of luck at the civil war bullet school. I am finishing up some grids and working in the less promising areas hoping to get lucky. I didn’t get skunked, but not lucky either. In 5 hours I found 53 coins with a face value of $2.71, a pair of glasses (I’ll donate them to the lion club), 3 game tabs, a ID pendant, 2 lighters, an old knife, a pile of tabs, a little can slaw and some aluminum fence wire.

8AE9F176-47C5-4AD9-8CA2-4C0B5EE78A7E.jpeg

I don’t find lighters very often. The Parliament one I believe is from the 60s. The flag lighter is a Zippo and was on top of the ground. It was not there 2 weeks ago so it is a recent loss and still works.

F4E7AC70-BDD6-4578-B9EC-EFE4EE0CCFEE.jpeg

I like the game tabs. I remember trying to get the winning tabs years ago. No luck there either. There were 5 different games over the years if memory serves. Here are examples of 3 of the game tabs (I save them). 2 pull off tab monopoly games and a stay on tab letter game. All 3 styles are from Pepsi products and have the number 904 on them. I’m not sure of the significance of the number, just an interesting fact.

D16903C3-1081-4202-AF06-BDD1D6100DA6.jpeg

019BA7DE-A338-4FF6-B2A0-8C002199A734.jpeg

A49E1527-B583-4D03-82D7-FB1DC25D1372.jpeg

DAY 2
I went back to the oldest park in the area where I have found civil war relics and old coins. It is a pretty large park so I picked a spot and off I went. The weather was cloudy and after a couple of hours the rain started. I was only able to get 4 hours in before the rain became too much. I did manage to find 54 coins with a face value of $3.40, a game tab, an aluminum decoration from a craft lace bracelet, a lock cylinder, some tabs, aluminum bottle caps and can slaw.

D5A45E27-07AE-4285-A075-2E77F2293ED6.jpeg

This game tab is from a coke game. Not a Pepsi game like the rest.

DAY 3
Got back to the scout camp. I have covered almost all of the best spots and I am doing some cleanup of areas not finished and expanding my search further out into the woods. These areas are less promising than the campsites themselves, but I have been amazed at how much stuff is out there near the sites.

This trip the CZ21 and I searched for 6.5 hours and found 117 coins with a face value of $9.41, 58 camp tent pegs, with a long circus tent type not in the count and a railroad spike, a .22 slug, a foreign coin, a shot quarter, a dead pocket knife, a small key, a cool whistle, a spoon, 3 knife belt clips, sinkers, a rope tensioner, 3 military blanks from the reinactors, part of a fishing lure, a Coleman lantern screw knob, melted aluminum from the fire, a few tabs and some grommets.

549E77B5-5A21-497E-8E49-40C5CDD854E2.jpeg

EF371556-1A3A-4C75-A291-4E9BCF4A5029.jpeg

The foreign coin is a 1994 Colombian 100 peso (worth a whopping 2 cents LOL). The spoon was a thrill and a disappointment. When it came out it looked so good. The right color for silver, no bad spots like you get in plated flatware so I’m thinking sterling. I cleaned a little and saw INTERNATIONAL DEEP SILVER INLAID. I wasn’t sure what that meant so I looked it up and it is a better grade of heavy platting to prevent the under metal from showing. So more silver than normal, but not really silver. Therefore almost silver LOL.

62686A6B-6486-42CB-8C6D-8F3463E24D2D.jpeg

A1456976-C0FF-47BF-B7BE-2E1E98B1C12B.jpeg

DAY 4
I went back to the set of ball fields to do a little more clean up. Nothing great, but I did get 5 hours of swingin for good exercise and a few coins for gas money. All together 49 coins with a face value of $2.99, an athletic spike, a cheapie chain link (looks like silver, but isn’t), another game tab, an AVANTAGE clothing button, some tabs and a batch of can slaw.

F40C278E-A77A-402B-BA12-69C7BC067FAB.jpeg

I also found a quarter and 2 pennies on the street, 2 pennies and a dime from a coinstar, a penny in the coin return, 5 dimes in another coin return, a cheapie ring on a walk in the park. The ring looked good o the ground, but as soon as I picked it up I could tell it not real gold.

C6E6F9C6-134D-4BF1-91B0-410E66B5CD6E.jpeg

63B53F86-DCFE-42BC-9503-B966F72523BB.jpeg

So the old man is still out there swingin, getting his exercise and cleaning up the ground (to paraphrase someone else) one piece of junk at a time (:o). Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things.

Attachments

• 7F748971-6A52-44F3-B691-20640955ADF5.jpeg
    7F748971-6A52-44F3-B691-20640955ADF5.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
Upvote 15

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you must have wore out a couple of digging tools :) Thanks for sharing with us !!

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
... The spoon was a thrill and a disappointment. When it came out it looked so good. The right color for silver, no bad spots like you get in plated flatware so I’m thinking sterling. I cleaned a little and saw INTERNATIONAL DEEP SILVER INLAID. I wasn’t sure what that meant so I looked it up and it is a better grade of heavy platting to prevent the under metal from showing. So more silver than normal, but not really silver. Therefore almost silver LOL...

Some neat finds there. Just a few comments on the spoon:

Flatware with that trademark doesn’t necessarily have a thicker layer of electroplate. It was marketed as more durable on the basis that the areas subject to the greatest degree of wear (such as the resting points on the backs of spoons and forks) had small sections of very thin sheet sterling silver fused to them as an inlay before the item was conventionally electroplated. The inlaid areas are so small and thin that there is negligible effect on the potential for any silver recovery.

Holmes & Edwards began doing this in the late 1800s using the trademark “Holmes & Edwards Sterling Inlaid" (or "…Silver Inlaid") and became part of the International Silver Company in 1898. In 1956, International changed the trademark to "Holmes & Edwards Deepsilver" and then in 1960 to "International Deepsilver" supplemented by the word “Inlaid”. The process was discontinued by 1972. Your spoon is “Empress” pattern, introduced in 1969.

OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some neat finds there. Just a few comments on the spoon:

Flatware with that trademark doesn’t necessarily have a thicker layer of electroplate. It was marketed as more durable on the basis that the areas subject to the greatest degree of wear (such as the resting points on the backs of spoons and forks) had small sections of very thin sheet sterling silver fused to them as an inlay before the item was conventionally electroplated. The inlaid areas are so small and thin that there is negligible effect on the potential for any silver recovery.

Holmes & Edwards began doing this in the late 1800s using the trademark “Holmes & Edwards Sterling Inlaid" (or "…Silver Inlaid") and became part of the International Silver Company in 1898. In 1956, International changed the trademark to "Holmes & Edwards Deepsilver" and then in 1960 to "International Deepsilver" supplemented by the word “Inlaid”. The process was discontinued by 1972. Your spoon is “Empress” pattern, introduced in 1969.
Thanks for info Red-coat. You as always are a great source of information for all of us. Stay safe, good luck and keep swingin.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Lots and lots of recoveries!

Lantern vent nut is worth a couple bucks. Maybe more depending on who is missing one.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DAY 1
Not a lot of luck at the civil war bullet school. I am finishing up some grids and working in the less promising areas hoping to get lucky. I didn’t get skunked, but not lucky either. In 5 hours I found 53 coins with a face value of $2.71, a pair of glasses (I’ll donate them to the lion club), 3 game tabs, a ID pendant, 2 lighters, an old knife, a pile of tabs, a little can slaw and some aluminum fence wire.

View attachment 2072591

I don’t find lighters very often. The Parliament one I believe is from the 60s. The flag lighter is a Zippo and was on top of the ground. It was not there 2 weeks ago so it is a recent loss and still works.

View attachment 2072592

I like the game tabs. I remember trying to get the winning tabs years ago. No luck there either. There were 5 different games over the years if memory serves. Here are examples of 3 of the game tabs (I save them). 2 pull off tab monopoly games and a stay on tab letter game. All 3 styles are from Pepsi products and have the number 904 on them. I’m not sure of the significance of the number, just an interesting fact.

View attachment 2072593

View attachment 2072594

View attachment 2072595

DAY 2
I went back to the oldest park in the area where I have found civil war relics and old coins. It is a pretty large park so I picked a spot and off I went. The weather was cloudy and after a couple of hours the rain started. I was only able to get 4 hours in before the rain became too much. I did manage to find 54 coins with a face value of $3.40, a game tab, an aluminum decoration from a craft lace bracelet, a lock cylinder, some tabs, aluminum bottle caps and can slaw.

View attachment 2072596

This game tab is from a coke game. Not a Pepsi game like the rest.

DAY 3
Got back to the scout camp. I have covered almost all of the best spots and I am doing some cleanup of areas not finished and expanding my search further out into the woods. These areas are less promising than the campsites themselves, but I have been amazed at how much stuff is out there near the sites.

This trip the CZ21 and I searched for 6.5 hours and found 117 coins with a face value of $9.41, 58 camp tent pegs, with a long circus tent type not in the count and a railroad spike, a .22 slug, a foreign coin, a shot quarter, a dead pocket knife, a small key, a cool whistle, a spoon, 3 knife belt clips, sinkers, a rope tensioner, 3 military blanks from the reinactors, part of a fishing lure, a Coleman lantern screw knob, melted aluminum from the fire, a few tabs and some grommets.

View attachment 2072600

View attachment 2072597

The foreign coin is a 1994 Colombian 100 peso (worth a whopping 2 cents LOL). The spoon was a thrill and a disappointment. When it came out it looked so good. The right color for silver, no bad spots like you get in plated flatware so I’m thinking sterling. I cleaned a little and saw INTERNATIONAL DEEP SILVER INLAID. I wasn’t sure what that meant so I looked it up and it is a better grade of heavy platting to prevent the under metal from showing. So more silver than normal, but not really silver. Therefore almost silver LOL.

View attachment 2072598

View attachment 2072599

DAY 4
I went back to the set of ball fields to do a little more clean up. Nothing great, but I did get 5 hours of swingin for good exercise and a few coins for gas money. All together 49 coins with a face value of $2.99, an athletic spike, a cheapie chain link (looks like silver, but isn’t), another game tab, an AVANTAGE clothing button, some tabs and a batch of can slaw.

View attachment 2072601

I also found a quarter and 2 pennies on the street, 2 pennies and a dime from a coinstar, a penny in the coin return, 5 dimes in another coin return, a cheapie ring on a walk in the park. The ring looked good o the ground, but as soon as I picked it up I could tell it not real gold.

View attachment 2072603

View attachment 2072604

So the old man is still out there swingin, getting his exercise and cleaning up the ground (to paraphrase someone else) one piece of junk at a time (:o). Thanks for looking, stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things.
Nice!!! Congrats!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread