Civil War bullet variety and a THEORY . . .

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've had a private Union camp for years. Dozens of buttons and probably close to 400 bullets (Because I found 249 dropped in one hole/hut site). Of all those bullets 99% were dropped or pulled, which of course is typical of a camp site. I just added these. But then I wandered back down to the creek that borders the camp. I have found ration cans, cooking utensils (fork/spoon), buttons and a wedding band at the creek. Again, makes sense where men would congregate to drink, bathe or fetch water. Anyway, I found nothing this time and turned to leave and decided to scan the high bank behind me. Four signals, in a space the size of a car. Could not dig two because of giant roots, but I'll go back with a better shovel. The two I DID dig, were serious impact CS Gardners. I know this is what one preacher used to call "my sanctified imagination" but it sure appears a rebel or two were sniping at the yankees when they'd come to the creek. Or maybe several of the boys were all shooting at the same guy. At any rate, these are the ONLY fired Gardners I've ever retrieved from this camp.

Attachments

• DSCN8540.JPG
    DSCN8540.JPG
    185.7 KB · Views: 97
  • DSCN8541.JPG
    DSCN8541.JPG
    194.7 KB · Views: 41
  • DSCN8542.JPG
    DSCN8542.JPG
    196.4 KB · Views: 37
Upvote 11

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had a private Union camp for years. Dozens of buttons and probably close to 400 bullets (Because I found 249 dropped in one hole/hut site). Of all those bullets 99% were dropped or pulled, which of course is typical of a camp site. I just added these. But then I wandered back down to the creek that borders the camp. I have found ration cans, cooking utensils (fork/spoon), buttons and a wedding band at the creek. Again, makes sense where men would congregate to drink, bathe or fetch water. Anyway, I found nothing this time and turned to leave and decided to scan the high bank behind me. Four signals, in a space the size of a car. Could not dig two because of giant roots, but I'll go back with a better shovel. The two I DID dig, were serious impact CS Gardners. I know this is what one preacher used to call "my sanctified imagination" but it sure appears a rebel or two were sniping at the yankees when they'd come to the creek. Or maybe several of the boys were all shooting at the same guy. At any rate, these are the ONLY fired Gardners I've ever retrieved from this camp.
Like the lead and your theory sounds good,my first thought was,I,d sure hate to get shot with one of those!!!!Whoooie!!!

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Parsonwalker, Well Done on all the saved CW lead and the other artifacts. CS Gardner bullets are about my favorite bullet to find, so cool looking. Your story could very well add up. This to me is what is so cool about relic hunting. You can be in an area finding relics and at times play "Columbo" and try to piece together in your mind just what occurred in this area during the war. Sometimes relics do in a sense talk and can weave a True story of just what may have happened if we take time to listen. I enjoyed the story. Continued Success to you.

RVRoamer73

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2016
Georgia
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 Nox 800
Stealth 720i ,RTG 6"
Lesche GS 36
Predator Raptor
TRX pp
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with devidog, great finds and post. Congrats!

OP
OP
parsonwalker

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Parsonwalker, Well Done on all the saved CW lead and the other artifacts. CS Gardner bullets are about my favorite bullet to find, so cool looking. Your story could very well add up. This to me is what is so cool about relic hunting. You can be in an area finding relics and at times play "Columbo" and try to piece together in your mind just what occurred in this area during the war. Sometimes relics do in a sense talk and can weave a True story of just what may have happened if we take time to listen. I enjoyed the story. Continued Success to you.
You and I think exactly alike! Sometimes it's not what you find, it's that time machine that takes you back that makes the day worth it . . .

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You and I think exactly alike! Sometimes it's not what you find, it's that time machine that takes you back that makes the day worth it . . .
Absolutely. A Blast From the Past. The Best "Rush" known to man.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds and good story. Your idea could be a good one, but it could also be that someone was target practicing. I have found lots of fired bullets on hillsides adjacent to civil war camps. Unfortunately we will never know for sure, but the finding and figuring out what things are and how they got there is what makes it all worth while. Stay safe, good luck and keep swingin.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread