What's new

Civil War bullets

Lottahockypoint

Tenderfoot
Joined
Jun 22, 2010
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
What is the best type of metal detector for locating Civil War bullets? Thanks in advance.
 
One that beeps. :wink:


Actually, the more important question to ask is "What is the best way to find a site where Civil War bullets can be found?"



-Buck
 
BuckleBoy said:
One that beeps. :wink:


Actually, the more important question to ask is "What is the best way to find a site where Civil War bullets can be found?"



-Buck

Good answer. Pretty much all machines will detect a bullet. If you are looking for bullets then you need to research were some activity took place and get permission to hunt it and see what you can find. My DFX has a tone that I listen for. But that tone could also be a button, coin, shotgun hull or some other object. But I will dig all those tones. My friends use Minelabs and they are killer machines as well. Visit a club in your area and see if they can help you out with your quest.
 
treasurehound said:
BuckleBoy said:
One that beeps. :wink:


Actually, the more important question to ask is "What is the best way to find a site where Civil War bullets can be found?"



-Buck

My friends use Minelabs and they are killer machines as well. Visit a club in your area and see if they can help you out with your quest.



I was doing my best to avoid this one because people are going to start thinking my saying Explorer is just my generic answer for everything. And if I was on the other side I'd start ignoring the posts. ;D That being said, lead is the one thing my detector likes more than anything else considering the small pieces I constanly get, and how deep it will hit a bullet. Is it deeper than the other high end detetors, don't know it's probably close, but what I can say is even the deep bullets are no brainer signals and I know it's not iron. (meaning I don't dig any deep pieces of iron the size of a bullet) I have had plenty of practice having hunted an 1800s firing range that had hundreds and hundreds of enfields. It was a hey field at the time and looked like mini bombers had been attacking it for months with as many dig holes as had been made. There was several other brands/models of detectors also hunting this place and I was digging many bullets from the same place someone else had left the obvious signs of a dig hole. It was maybe the 3rd or 4th hunt there that it became apparent how this was coming about. ;D My friend the Cladman was away from the concentration with one of the competition who was using a CZ with an 8" coil. The Cladman got a hit, and said, oh there's a bullet. The other guy checked the signal and nothing. So he dug down about 6"-8" and either he got nothing, or the signal sounded off, but was so bad it wasn't something he'd dig (can't recall, was one of the two). Anyway, Claddy then checked again and the signal was still there and said it was deeper. So one of them dug down and sure enough it was a very deep bullet. :tongue3:

I was definitely without any question easily digging them at 12"-14" and this being a farm field that is very good for disturbed ground. In good clean moist undisturbed ground I would probably believe 16"-17" if someone told me it happened. I have never dug one that deep but all I hunt is farm fields so the conditions are never close enough to perfect to do it. I wish I would have measured my deepest ones but not having done it I'd feel like I was guessing if I said over 14".

Dug 180 my first day and the place had already been hunted.
 

Attachments

  • bullets1.webp
    bullets1.webp
    47.9 KB · Views: 329
  • bullets1.webp
    bullets1.webp
    47.9 KB · Views: 244
Wow. Iron Patch you the man. You definitely know your machine. I am still learning mine. Way to go. :headbang:
 
treasurehound said:
Wow. Iron Patch you the man. You definitely know your machine. I am still learning mine. Way to go. :headbang:


I hope I know it by now, been many years. :thumbsup:
 
The only thing more time consuming than finding a site that has CW bullets in it to be found, is trying to learn how to use a Minelab.

Strap yourself in, buddy--it's gonna be a LONG ride! :tongue3:
 
BuckleBoy said:
The only thing more time consuming than finding a site that has CW bullets in it to be found, is trying to learn how to use a Minelab.

Strap yourself in, buddy--it's gonna be a LONG ride! :tongue3:


So how many hunts do you have using a Minelab? :wink:
 
Ya know you might be the guys I need to ask as well. I have a hankering for a new machine. I have an old conquistador it beeps and I use a golden sabre II it beeps. I find many bullets cw items some colonial and silver and gold. But I have to almost dig everything. I bet I dug 18" the other day in roots with a heat index 107 and never got the target and it was going crazy. I GAVE UP. Pathetic,
I think I might be missing thins?
 
ace 250 found theese with it
 

Attachments

  • DSC00044.webp
    DSC00044.webp
    17.7 KB · Views: 215
  • DSC00046.webp
    DSC00046.webp
    24.2 KB · Views: 231
  • DSC00044.webp
    DSC00044.webp
    17.7 KB · Views: 208
  • DSC00046.webp
    DSC00046.webp
    24.2 KB · Views: 193
with CW and other relics --often its deep digging and everything digging -- once you find a good civil war camp / or skirmish site --you never know just what you might find -- for most detectors that i know of "all metal" mode is the deepest one--- but the down side is its also the touchy ist mode"--- so much that in high mineral type areas -- ground balancing or lower the sen levels can be need to get the machince to "ingnore" the background" at times.

all machines can find relics -- but alll machines are not equal in depth and IDing abilities -- simply put higher end machines tend to go deeper and ID better -- now the tipping point is at what $$ level do you want to play at and how complex of a machine can you handle / want to deal with?

for some a 300 buck machine that goes 8 -12 inches for the most part is fine --others want one that will go 15 in to say 18 in and are willing to pay $1000 for it
 
for a not too costly machine that can sort things some what -- in the normalish not overly deep range say 8 to 12 in --maybe a bit deeper on bigger items -- i like my delta 4000 by teknetics --its $279 at kellyco --(they have a ad on the main page)--- its a very light eazy to use machine with a 0 to 99 numbers type display --differant metals "ring" up as differant numbers -- say 58 for a nickle /10 k gold item ---lots of tabs come in at 60 -- 67 is 14 k gold --( lead often comes in as 75)--- 76 /77 zinc cent / ih cents ---82 is old copper cents (wheaties) / clad dimes and silver dime -- 85/86 is quarters --94 for halves /dollars

while not perfect --the machine is just guessing what it is and how deep based up "best guess" programing --it can assist in many cases --

the bottom line is YOU MUST DICIDE IF YOU THINK THE ITEM IS WORTH DIGGING OR NOT --SOME FOLKS GO BY THE DIG IT ALL RULE--WHILE OTHER TRY TO "CHERRY PICK"-- they are two very differant camps of thought -- for the dig it all types depth is the key thing to look for in a detector -- for the "cherry pickers" IDing ability is the key thing to look for --some folks try a "middle ground approach"
 
I love my minelab. My first one which I believe is freakin awesome for the price is a bounty hunter commando. My wife bought it for me about five years ago, I found all kinds of stuff, an money. It just doesn't go very deep. I got me a minelab xterra 505 an I freakin love it! So far the deepest item I found is some kind of penny button cover about eight inches.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom