Civil war button? Indian war button?

diabolicalbeans

Oct 30, 2020
W. Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found this button at my secret spot the other day, I can see the great seal with an eagle and a crest, and it appears to have stars over the top of it. But I’m not sure exactly it would have been… The only similar button I found with the stars was from the Indian wars and FDE6FC62-7740-4E92-BBD7-A443C0BA32BC.jpeg appears to only have been made in the late 1800s ending around 1902.

Beeps in my sleep

Sep 6, 2013
Shippensburg, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000, Fisher F2, Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there a Maker's mark visible on the back? Do you happen to have a picture of the back of it? Some of the members on this forum are lucky enough to have Button Books and since the front is so toasty, anything on the back may help them ID your button. I love it though! Nice find even if we can't ID it:headbang:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
diabolicalbeans

diabolicalbeans

Oct 30, 2020
W. Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think the design looks like this, it’s not a NY state button, and the back is all corroded and worse than the front.

Attachments

• 7E500708-709A-43EF-AC5D-35A9A701E159.jpeg
    7E500708-709A-43EF-AC5D-35A9A701E159.jpeg
    122.6 KB · Views: 34
Upvote 0

Beeps in my sleep

Sep 6, 2013
Shippensburg, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000, Fisher F2, Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can we see a pic of the back anyway? The makers might not be able to be ID'd but the construction of it may. I love buttons but am very limited in knowledge. I do know that I have seen countless ones on here at least ID'd to the century by the loop style on the back or construction of the button. The more photos you have to provide will help the good folks of this forum help you ID your button if they can. I love buttons and am learning myself so I hope someone can date your button. Cheers!

Upvote 0

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the design looks like this, it’s not a NY state button, and the back is all corroded and worse than the front.

well I guess you've solved it . I've never dug one so toasted ,was it found in a fertilized farm field.

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
US Army "Staff Officer" brass 3-piece button, in service from 1832 to 1902. Very difficult to accurately time-date without a backmark. But somewhat useful "general rule-of-thumb" for those buttons is, 3-piece with a narrow applied rim is civil war or earlier, wide applied rim is post-civil-war. Note, there are always a few exceptions to a "rule-of-thumb." Next question somebody's going to ask will be, okay so what is a "wide applied rim"? The brass 3-piece "Staff Officer" button in the photo posted by diabolicalbeans has a wide rim.

The photo attached below shows the different applied-rim sizes on the same version of New York State Militia button.
From left to right:
wide (mostly post-civil-war)
narrow (mostly pre-war or civil war)
extra-wide (strictly post-civil-war, with a single exception, a Michigan State Seal button)

Attachments

• button_NY-State-Militia_TIME-DATING_3piece_staff_RimSizes.jpg
    button_NY-State-Militia_TIME-DATING_3piece_staff_RimSizes.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread