What's new

🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Civil War Camp Finds

ShortbusElite

Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 26, 2016
Messages
294
Reaction score
611
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a few items which I know are Civil War items like the bullets but there were a few other items found in the same area which I am unsure of. Can you guys please let me know what you think my finds are. I am also interested in the exact bullet types I have as well as these projectiles are the first of these kind that I have found. I am especially curious about the object next to the penny inside the D-ring photo as well as the lock-part and the starburst-like object. The starburst-like object had the small pin? Attached to it which is located in the overall finds picture. Thank you for looking.
 

Attachments

  • 20220522_212137.webp
    20220522_212137.webp
    523.7 KB · Views: 142
  • 20220522_193924.webp
    20220522_193924.webp
    827.7 KB · Views: 94
  • 20220522_212158.webp
    20220522_212158.webp
    369.5 KB · Views: 81
  • 20220522_212306.webp
    20220522_212306.webp
    308 KB · Views: 89
  • 20220522_212258.webp
    20220522_212258.webp
    326.8 KB · Views: 80
  • 20220522_212258.webp
    20220522_212258.webp
    326.8 KB · Views: 89
  • 20220522_212306.webp
    20220522_212306.webp
    308 KB · Views: 86
  • 20220522_212158.webp
    20220522_212158.webp
    369.5 KB · Views: 86
  • 20220522_193930.webp
    20220522_193930.webp
    938.7 KB · Views: 99
  • 20220522_193924.webp
    20220522_193924.webp
    827.7 KB · Views: 97
The item with what looks like a keyhole is most likely the locking clasp to a carpetbag, i.e., luggage of the day. That looks like a Merrill carbine bullet, but without a size, hard to tell.
Here are some pictures with a micrometer on the bullet. It is a bit out of round so I took multiple measurements.
 

Attachments

  • 20220523_080011.webp
    20220523_080011.webp
    851.6 KB · Views: 57
  • 20220523_080050.webp
    20220523_080050.webp
    699 KB · Views: 62
  • 20220523_080114.webp
    20220523_080114.webp
    672.5 KB · Views: 64
Upvote 1
Would this have been carried with the armies or it an unrelated find?
If it was somewhere they camped for awhile they possibly would've strung telegraph lines. I would expect the Signal Corps troops had the equipment in their inventory. I found a similar one at an Indian Wars site, but it was a permanent fort.
 
Upvote 2

Similar threads

  • Question Question
🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Pre civil war?
Replies
6
Views
566
Replies
6
Views
811

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom