What's new

Civil War Camp Item with Stamped Emblem

Turborick

Jr. Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2006
Messages
37
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
Central Missouri
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
We have been back to the civil war camp and I found a small piece of brass that has what looks like a crown stamped into it. I am hoping that someone can ID the stamp/emblem and maybe even Id the item. As you can see from the pic it is about 1/2" wide and 1" to 2" long. Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Rick
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2613.webp
    IMG_2613.webp
    62.1 KB · Views: 469
  • IMG_2615.webp
    IMG_2615.webp
    53.3 KB · Views: 455
Is it a flattened tube or a single flat piece?

My opinion is that it resembles the British Crown more than any other European Crowns.
 
Upvote 0
It is a single flat piece, I believe it is brass, that was welded (I think) to another metal object. It is about the thickness of a quarter.
 
Upvote 0
Keyhole cover from an old lock? The crown is a frequently-used design on such pieces.


-Buckles
 
Upvote 0
How a bout some different angles? And is it attached to the coin looking thing beneath it or is it just laying on it? Monty
 
Upvote 0
Yes definitely a dust cover for a lock....I have one and cant find the darn info I had on it!!
 
Upvote 0
I have a keyhole cover like yours with the letters GR below the crown . The info I was given about mine was that GR stands for "Georgius Rex" or King George III of England (1760 - 1820) which means it was made during this time period . Some will have a VR on it for Victoria Rex or Queen Victoria .
 
Upvote 0
Yes that is what I was told as well!!
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom