Civil War Canon Ball Found today

FinderKeeper

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2007
Clearfield Pa. and Nova Scotia, Canada
Detector(s) used
Schonstedt sopt, GPL , 2 box, Dowsing Rods, Long Range Locators, Radar, Bounty Hunter & a lot more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• IMG_20220308_144139 (1).jpg
    IMG_20220308_144139 (1).jpg
    274.8 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_20220308_144142 (1).jpg
    IMG_20220308_144142 (1).jpg
    318.7 KB · Views: 70
Upvote 5

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We need to see a closer image of the black circle to determine if it's a fuse. If the 'circle' is made of brass with numbers on it then that's a powder-train fuse, which may still be dangerous as it is well sealed, but if it's just a fuse hole with the remains of a more primitive fuse in it, then the ball likely poses no threat. In any case if it's a hollow cannon ball full of gun powder found outside after 150 years the powder will typically be complealty destroyed and harmless in 99% of cases.

OP
OP
FinderKeeper

FinderKeeper

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2007
Clearfield Pa. and Nova Scotia, Canada
Detector(s) used
Schonstedt sopt, GPL , 2 box, Dowsing Rods, Long Range Locators, Radar, Bounty Hunter & a lot more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We need to see a closer image of the black circle to determine if it's a fuse. If the 'circle' is made of brass with numbers on it then that's a powder-train fuse, which may still be dangerous as it is well sealed, but if it's just a fuse hole with the remains of a more primitive fuse in it, then the ball likely poses no threat. In any case if it's a hollow cannon ball full of gun powder found outside after 150 years the powder will typically be complealty destroyed and harmless in 99% of cases.
Ok I will get a better picture of it today. I did not see any brass on it. Thank You for the info.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe Cannonballguy has said there are no known instances of dug CW ordinance exploding and injuring anybody. I myself would not worry, no matter what kind of fuse it has the powder has been soaked and rendered inert.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread