What's new

Confederate Civil War Painting For ID

Cariboo5

Bronze Member
Joined
Oct 27, 2011
Messages
1,116
Reaction score
2,665
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looking for help to id this painting which appears to have some age to it, not sure if this could be 19thcentury, also do not know when and where this was done. All help and opinions on artist ( In the manner of – attributed to etc. ) possible time frame and location appreciated. I have researched the better known Civil War artists and have come up empty and have so far failed to find one like this. Original oil on board painting, image size 9 7/8 x 14 6/8 inch frame size 12 1/2 x 17 2/8 inch. Thanks in advance to all ..... I've also posted this in the "What Is It"
 

Attachments

  • CCW 1.webp
    CCW 1.webp
    186.1 KB · Views: 152
  • CCW 2.webp
    CCW 2.webp
    107.8 KB · Views: 102
  • CCW 3.webp
    CCW 3.webp
    172.5 KB · Views: 94
  • CCW 4.webp
    CCW 4.webp
    116.9 KB · Views: 108
  • CCW 5.webp
    CCW 5.webp
    194.5 KB · Views: 106
Upvote 0
That's a very poignant painting; hightlighting, again, the absurbity of war.
Don in SoCal
It certainly is Don, ..... my thoughts:


A painting on board depicting a Confederate Officer bringing back a deceased solider on horse back.The dark, gloomy expression on the officers face portrays the grim aftermath, the brutal realities of war with the emotional and psychological impacts of this historic conflict. The Confederate Officer's gesture of placing his left hand on the right side of his chest signifies a deep emotional connection. All has been been captured and expressed by the artist. To me this is a powerful painting of that event.
 
Being a war veteran I got a little emotional viewing the painting. Anybody miss the cross at the roadside on the left of the painting!
 
Just tying the 2 posts together
 
ncsuwolf .. this may be a tough one as there is no signature, I will post an artist name if I'm lucky to find one.. I've posted a picture of the
artist board in the "What Is It" in hopes someone may know a time frame as to when it was in use.

ArfieBoy .. I hear you and
The cross on the left side of the painting ( right side of the horse ) in the bush also signifies that this road has been travelled before for the same reason would be my guess as to why the artist put it there.

Gene Mean .. the more exposure the better the chances of someone knowing ...
 
Looking for help to id this painting which appears to have some age to it, not sure if this could be 19thcentury, also do not know when and where this was done. All help and opinions on artist ( In the manner of – attributed to etc. ) possible time frame and location appreciated. I have researched the better known Civil War artists and have come up empty and have so far failed to find one like this. Original oil on board painting, image size 9 7/8 x 14 6/8 inch frame size 12 1/2 x 17 2/8 inch. Thanks in advance to all ..... I've also posted this in the "What Is It"
It looks like Acrylic paint to me. But my eyes are crap these days. how it is scratchy on the canvas. reminds me more of acrylic paint than oil paint. Treasure hunter might be of help there as his eyes might be better than mine. Some of colors look straight out of the tubes. Not tinted for artists preference. possibly suggesting a good amateur artist and not so much a well known establish one. A rather dry application of paint. there is evidence in the trees of use of flat brush.

Acrylic paint was developed in the 1930s and was first used by artists in the 1940s. It gained significant popularity in the 1950s and 1960s when water-based formulations specifically for artists were developed and commercialized by companies like Liquitex. I would say 1940's to 1950s time period. Definitely not a earlier work.

Acrylic craft paint is lower quality in two ways, pigment density is low (so it takes many coats to get a solid color) and medium quality is poorer. This translates to a poorer quality result, and often a less fun painting experience. Still the subject matter and execution is not bad.

Crow
 
It looks like Acrylic paint to me. But my eyes are crap these days. how it is scratchy on the canvas. reminds me more of acrylic paint than oil paint. Treasure hunter might be of help there as his eyes might be better than mine. Some of colors look straight out of the tubes. Not tinted for artists preference. possibly suggesting a good amateur artist and not so much a well known establish one. A rather dry application of paint. there is evidence in the trees of use of flat brush.

Acrylic paint was developed in the 1930s and was first used by artists in the 1940s. It gained significant popularity in the 1950s and 1960s when water-based formulations specifically for artists were developed and commercialized by companies like Liquitex. I would say 1940's to 1950s time period. Definitely not a earlier work.

Acrylic craft paint is lower quality in two ways, pigment density is low (so it takes many coats to get a solid color) and medium quality is poorer. This translates to a poorer quality result, and often a less fun painting experience. Still the subject matter and execution is not bad.

Crow
Excellent point Crow and something that could give a time line for this painting. I'm not an expert however after comparing acrylic and oil textures on several other paintings I have and also viewing samples online to me this is an oil painting. I took three close up pics that shows the paint and texture....
 

Attachments

  • CU Trees.webp
    CU Trees.webp
    239.6 KB · Views: 58
  • CU Boot.webp
    CU Boot.webp
    422 KB · Views: 59
  • CU Face.webp
    CU Face.webp
    274 KB · Views: 50
Excellent point Crow and something that could give a time line for this painting. I'm not an expert however after comparing acrylic and oil textures on several other paintings I have and also viewing samples online to me this is an oil painting. I took three close up pics that shows the paint and texture....
The blow ups have been an enormous help. looking at close up I thinking i can see traces of linseed oil. some time globules of oil can dry into tiny balls. linseed oil coats tinted droplets of wet paint. Linseed oil was used to stop oil paint from drying out and cracking over time. One problem artists do is not long enough the oil paint to fully dry. This still gets cracking when painting over a not fully dry surface. Adding linseed oil too soon before it is fully drys does this.

Screenshot 2025-11-19 164705.webp


Oil paint can crack over time especially if the "fat over lean" rule isn't followed or if it's applied over a flexible surface. Cracking can also occur due to old age, environmental factors, or the paint becoming brittle as it dries. That is why you have what looks like paint flaking below.

Screenshot 2025-11-19 165512.webp


That too Yes, acrylic paint can also crack, but it's not a given Cracking is often caused by the top layer of paint drying too quickly, or from environmental factors like cold or high humidity. Applying paint in very thick layers or using low-quality paints can also increase the likelihood of cracking.

Yet give the traces of what appears linseed oil would suggest the painting was oil paints. Linseed oil is only used on Oil paints. Has the painting got a glossy finish? Linseed oil has a smooth, "slippery," and viscous texture that increases glossiness and flow when mixed with oil paint. As a standalone product, its texture can vary from a thinner, more liquid form to a thicker, stand oil consistency, and when it dries, it forms a hard, resilient, and glossy finish.

Crow
 
The blow ups have been an enormous help. looking at close up I thinking i can see traces of linseed oil. some time globules of oil can dry into tiny balls. linseed oil coats tinted droplets of wet paint. Linseed oil was used to stop oil paint from drying out and cracking over time. One problem artists do is not long enough the oil paint to fully dry. This still gets cracking when painting over a not fully dry surface. Adding linseed oil too soon before it is fully drys does this.

View attachment 2234084

Oil paint can crack over time especially if the "fat over lean" rule isn't followed or if it's applied over a flexible surface. Cracking can also occur due to old age, environmental factors, or the paint becoming brittle as it dries. That is why you have what looks like paint flaking below.

View attachment 2234085

That too Yes, acrylic paint can also crack, but it's not a given Cracking is often caused by the top layer of paint drying too quickly, or from environmental factors like cold or high humidity. Applying paint in very thick layers or using low-quality paints can also increase the likelihood of cracking.

Yet give the traces of what appears linseed oil would suggest the painting was oil paints. Linseed oil is only used on Oil paints. Has the painting got a glossy finish? Linseed oil has a smooth, "slippery," and viscous texture that increases glossiness and flow when mixed with oil paint. As a standalone product, its texture can vary from a thinner, more liquid form to a thicker, stand oil consistency, and when it dries, it forms a hard, resilient, and glossy finish.

Crow
You certainly are a fund of knowledge.
 
Crow said "my eyes are crap these days" ... I would have to disagree with that comment as what you just pointed out they are far from crap. To observe and pick out
the little details from the pictures as you see it is pretty darn good. I agree with BennyV that you are a fund of knowledge and appreciate all the information that is possible
in helping to solve this. In answer to your question "Has the painting got a glossy finish?" I've attached a picture just taken in bright sunshine that shows no glossy finish.
 

Attachments

  • Non Glossy Finish.webp
    Non Glossy Finish.webp
    407.2 KB · Views: 61
Okay looking at the back on painting. is the canvas glued to board?

I notice staples that might help dating such work. Measure the staples. see if they are modern stables?

Staple history

From the staples we might may get a date range in conjunction with other clues in narrowing down the date of painting?


The other factor is backing board thickness. In 1928, the first standard size 4 ft x 8 ft (1.2 m x 2.4 m) plywood board was introduced in the United States for use as a general building and furniture material. In the following decades, improved adhesives and new manufacturing methods allowed plywood to be used for a wide variety of application. This wood looked older as you can tree knots in the wood. To me reminds me of old packing crates for apples.

The canvas and board was was not made by a dedicated canvas manufacturer. 20th century: Canvas manufacturing became a more industrialized process, with companies like Claessens starting to produce high-quality, prepared canvases for a growing number of amateur artists. This is not a Cassens. to me it looks like a homemade canvass stretch on packing crate. Classic homemade Americana!

Is it black paper? That is unusual as most painting had Brown paper, particularly the modern kraft paper type, began to be used on paintings after its invention in 1879. While artists have historically used brown and other toned papers for centuries, the specific type commonly called "butcher paper" is a strong, recyclable paper known for its strength and affordability, making it an excellent medium for preliminary sketches and paintings after its invention. It evolved from Origin of "butcher paper": This type of paper was originally developed for use in the meatpacking industry to wrap meat. Its popularity with artists grew due to its strength, availability, and cost-effectiveness.

Artists are always broke so they used what ever material that was readily available.

Finally we look at style. I Like to use the term "Post-Realism Expressionism" does not refer to a single, recognized art period to describe the painting. As painting is a combination of several distinct movements. Post-Impressionism 1886–1905 came after Realism. Realism painting is an art movement that depicts subjects truthfully and objectively, focusing on everyday life without idealization or artificiality, and Expressionism 1905–1920 built upon Post-Impressionist ideas by exaggerating and distorting reality to convey emotion. Post-expressionism is a later term coined in the 1920s to describe movements that followed Expressionism. But here is the catch the painting might been painted after those periods. Seeing these two or three styles in painting make hard to find the earliest date of the painting.

Also we can see technique the artist has used a flat brush in background with thinner paint to create the illusion of distance and in foreground they Impasto is a painting technique where paint is applied thickly so that brush or palette knife marks are visible, creating a textured, three-dimensional surface that captures light. This method can be used with various paints like oils and acrylics, and it gives the finished work a sense of energy, emotion, and a tactile quality.

But from these factors post 1886 onward up to late 1950's. My best guess the painting belonged to an art school student practicing styles and left unsigned.

Crow
 
Last edited:
Ok, I sent an email to Don Troiani´s website and he actually responded. I thought a random clerk would respond. I would have been a little more gracious if I was asking him such a favor. Oh well. I thought he might recognize your painting Cariboo5. I hope you don´t mind Cariboo5, I´m just so curious about the painting. No luck though.
Screenshot 2025-11-20 8.00.24 AM.webp
 
Last edited:
Doubter in MD suggested Masonite with a fabric impression which would date this to the mid 20thcentury.

Crow has also mentioned 20thcentury from his knowledge.

I received a reply back from the American Civil War Museum and they also confirm mid 20th century or a bit earlier 1940's – 1950's.

I followed up on Masonite board with impressions and everything matched to the board on this painting,have to go with Doubter in MD on board and all on mid 20th century.

This is an excellent start as one of the questions has been answered putting this painting mid 20th century.

Crow also mentioned this may have been by an art school student practising styles and left unsigned. Excellent idea and another avenue that I can try and research in that time frame.....
 
Ok, I sent an email to Don Troiani´s website and he actually responded. I thought a random clerk would respond. I would have been a little more gracious if I was asking him such a favor. Oh well. I thought he might recognize your painting Cariboo5. I hope you don´t mind Cariboo5, I´m just so curious about the painting. No luck though.
View attachment 2234219
Just the opposite Gene Mean. Not only am I impressed but thankful that you are taking your time to help solve this one. All inquiries are good inquiries.
Greatly appreciated .....
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom