What's new

Civil war insignia but which one is it?

DirtyMike

Hero Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2009
Messages
898
Reaction score
106
Golden Thread
1
Location
West Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, MXT, TDI, Tejon, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know that I should know this one. I have seen them before but I can't find them now. Its just a piece but to what type of insignia?
 

Attachments

  • what are they relics 239.webp
    what are they relics 239.webp
    85.3 KB · Views: 442
  • what are they relics 238.webp
    what are they relics 238.webp
    88.3 KB · Views: 464
  • what are they relics 237.webp
    what are they relics 237.webp
    80.2 KB · Views: 468
that's cool. Right off I don't know what it is but would lean toward a precivil war hatplate. How big is it?
 
Upvote 0
Here is some size reference.
 

Attachments

  • what are they relics 247.webp
    what are they relics 247.webp
    34.7 KB · Views: 473
Upvote 0
I think it's part of an early hatplate. If no one figures it out before then the Northern Va Relic Hunters show is on April 9th & 10th. Mike Singer will be there he is an expert on hatplates and insignia. A nice guy too.
 
Upvote 0
vayank54 said:
I think it's part of an early hatplate. If no one figures it out before then the Northern Va Relic Hunters show is on April 9th & 10th. Mike Singer will be there he is an expert on hatplates and insignia. A nice guy too.

I don't have much time to look for this piece tonight, but I think vayank hit the nail on the head. I'll try to get a moment to do some searching tomorrow.

-Buckles
 
Upvote 0
I don't have a book specifically on hatplates but looked through a couple books that have some in them and could find nothing like yours. Sorry
 
Upvote 0
I'm interested in seeing what this turns out to be :icon_thumleft:

Mike
 
Upvote 0
ivan salis said:
cannon and bugle -- humm
From my searching, it could be the bugle relates to voluntary/militia. :dontknow:

Mike
 
Upvote 0
the bugle is seen on union civil war infanty cap badges, but the cannon on it is odd -- vollunter artillerymen ?
 
Upvote 0
Bump
 
Upvote 0
It is part of a SHAKO hat plate, as VaYank said, probably predates the Civil War :wink:
 
Upvote 0
{Sentinel} said:
It is part of a SHAKO hat plate, as VaYank said, probably predates the Civil War :wink:

I agree. But I have done a lot of searching and can't find this one. I found several from 1812 ish through the 1840's that are real close. But no cigar.
 
Upvote 0
The design is very similar to that on the Zouave peace powder flask.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom