What's new

Civil war item maybe

John Deere Digger

Bronze Member
Joined
Aug 26, 2007
Messages
1,208
Reaction score
5
Golden Thread
0
Location
So Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX, Prism5, Minelab SE
Found this at an old park about nine inches down. The sign at the entrance said an Illinois civil war regiment assembled here, I forget the number. So it could be civil war related, don't know. The complete length is an inch and half. The end is round and is .39 one hundreth. Thanks.
JDD
 

Attachments

  • 4-4-09 front.webp
    4-4-09 front.webp
    84.7 KB · Views: 727
  • 4-4-09 back.webp
    4-4-09 back.webp
    89 KB · Views: 697
  • 4-4-09 front.webp
    4-4-09 front.webp
    84.7 KB · Views: 703
  • 4-4-09 back.webp
    4-4-09 back.webp
    89 KB · Views: 701
If a regiment mustered there for training, I would search it high and low. Could be civil war training camp. Someone should know what era it's from.
 
Upvote 0
There is no way to attribute that thing until it's identified... and I'll be no help with that.
 
Upvote 0
A freind of mine whom hunts mission period sites has found similar items of which there has been discussion as to what they were.I will pass this link on to him.
 
Upvote 0
The wrist pin end (hole) appears to be machined to an exact dimension to facilitate turning or swiveling on a shaft. The rest is crudely made.
 
Upvote 0
These appear to be file marks to remove metal for balance.
file marks.webp
 
Upvote 0
SWR said:
It could be a military item.

I doubt very seriously it was a Civil War item, found in Illinois.

It may not be civil war, but being from Illinois does not make it so. Most of Southern Illinois (where this was dug) is farther south than most of Kentucky and Virginia. General Grant had headquarters in Cairo, IL. and a major civil war trail ran from the Ohio River through Soutern Illinois to the Mississippi River. I can go on, Illinois has alot of Civil war history.
JDD
 
Upvote 0
It amazes me the people that think only a few states seen Civil War activity!Most of them would be shocked the C.W. relics that are found out west. :wink:
 
Upvote 0
Pipe tamper ...... ?

Brian
 
Upvote 0
kuger said:
It amazes me the people that think only a few states seen Civil War activity!Most of them would be shocked the C.W. relics that are found out west. :wink:

Interesting point. Being from NC I would have expected more Revolutionary military finds whereas more often CW relics found. Sure there's the time difference but NC experienced little or limited CW activity.

Don't know what the relic is, but maybe it's a seal stamp holder of sorts? Tool held in hand with metal stamp imprint device inserted in hole.
 
Upvote 0
SWR said:
kuger said:
It amazes me the people that think only a few states seen Civil War activity!Most of them would be shocked the C.W. relics that are found out west. :wink:

I've seen some of those war relics. A good example would be a button made from the 1830s to the 1880s. Or a belt plate made from the 1850s on
Well then, you sir obviously have not seen the "RELICS",I speak of!Check your history books.....and I thought you were a half way savvy fellow too! :-\ ??? Try this on for size....found in Utah!
 

Attachments

  • MyTreasure.webp
    MyTreasure.webp
    106.9 KB · Views: 343
Upvote 0
Even though this is now off topic I'd like to jump in here...

I too am sick of everything that's dug being called a "civil war" relic.  Some of those CW item made it to the west and thus became "Indian War" relics with NO chance of proving they were CW military items.  I've dug tons of military related "Indian War" relics that, to any unknown amount, may have at one time seen CW duty, but now were lost and found in Montana - thus an "Indian War" relic.  My point?  Not every three ring bullet ever fired is a CW relic... most were probably fired at game.  CW "era" items lost all over the United States cannot necessarily be attributed to the CW itself.  Not every buckle was lost in battle.  Not every lead bullet was fired during a battle.  Not every eagle button was lost in a soldier's camp.  Some of that stuff might have been lost there 50 years after the battle.

Of course the chances increase dramatically if FROM a known camp or area... like where this item was found.

Back on topic...

I think the original item posted is a bell clanger, but do not KNOW it is.  It's a good whatsit!
 
Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies everyone. The bell clapper is a good bet, never thought of that one. I just added it came from a civil war regiment Assembly area because I thought it might help someone ID it. I just had no idea what it was. I have several three ring bullets and do not attribute them to civil war items, I am sure some hunting was done with these rifles. On the other hand I am sure there are civil war relics to be found in Illinois. Thanks JDD
 
Upvote 0
Montana Jim said:
Even though this is now off topic I'd like to jump in here...

I too am sick of everything that's dug being called a "civil war" relic. Some of those CW item made it to the west and thus became "Indian War" relics with NO chance of proving they were CW military items. I've dug tons of military related "Indian War" relics that, to any unknown amount, may have at one time seen CW duty, but now were lost and found in Montana - thus an "Indian War" relic. My point? Not every three ring bullet ever fired is a CW relic... most were probably fired at game. CW "era" items lost all over the United States cannot necessarily be attributed to the CW itself. Not every buckle was lost in battle. Not every lead bullet was fired during a battle. Not every eagle button was lost in a soldier's camp. Some of that stuff might have been lost there 50 years after the battle.

Of course the chances increase dramatically if FROM a known camp or area... like where this item was found.

Back on topic...

I think the original item posted is a bell clanger, but do not KNOW it is. It's a good whatsit!
I agree with you Jim,however I am sick of people thinking the C.W. only involved a couple states.Try researching how the Union was funded?Research where the copper for the cause came from.There were troops stationed at these mines to protect hem and there gear was left.There were many that left here to fight and many veterans came to seek there fortunes.A book called the Gold Rush and The Civil War is a very good read.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom