What's new

CIVIL WAR LEATHER TOBACCO POUCH? PLEASE ASSIST.

KansasFinds

Tenderfoot
Joined
May 25, 2009
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
I found this 'pouch' in an old box in the basement of a home in New Jersey about 20 years ago. In the box were 5 Civil War letters, two Union canteens, a stitched item reading "Union Forever" and this item. I can only assume that it is a Civil War leather tobacco pouch. It remains about 1/3 filled with what I assume is tobacco. I'm not sure why there is a stick attached to the bottom plug that goes inside the pouch. Am I correct in assuming this is a Civil War leather tobacco pouch? Please assist. It has been sitting in my basement for the past 20 years. Thanks.

Steve
Kansas
 

Attachments

  • ARROWHEAD 043.webp
    ARROWHEAD 043.webp
    27.8 KB · Views: 1,311
  • ARROWHEAD 044.webp
    ARROWHEAD 044.webp
    24.2 KB · Views: 1,300
VERY nice!

If you don't reach your reserve, that would be worth hanging on to. . . just my 2-cents.
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
thats a cool site. i am also a arrowhead hunter. i recently had 76 pieces i had sold due to hard times, and it still didn't fix the problem so i should of just kept them. one was a 3 and 3/4 inch double fluted clovis . i got 2100.00 on ebay. should have kept them all. i have a site http://www.traderoftreasures.com
 
Upvote 0
What a cool web site. I live here in the furthest east tip of West Virginia and I catch snakes to. I actually remove nuisance snakes for people. I get a couple of calls a week. I do all snake removal by donations. You might be surprised to see what some people pay. Besides I love snakes and dont mind taking them somewhere safe anyways. Again awesome web site and I will be checking it out from time to time.
KansasFinds said:
traderoftreasures said:
welcome to the t'net KansasFinds

Thanks. I am an avid arrowhead hunter and collector, never selling any of my own personal finds. Everything I have ever found is displayed. I arrowhead hunt every Saturday and Sunday morning. I am also a bottle digger. Found a few scrapers this weekend. I post on www.theaaca.com and www.arrowheadforums.com and www.arrowheadology.com I am also a snake hunter. Check out my website www.surfacefinds.webs.com
 
Upvote 0
Just another idea, the stick would also allow for one hand cork top removal. Just hold the bag by the top and push the bottom against something like your leg and off pops the top. You wouldn't need two hands to open it....
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom