What's new

CIVIL WAR LEATHER TOBACCO POUCH? PLEASE ASSIST.

KansasFinds

Tenderfoot
Joined
May 25, 2009
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
I found this 'pouch' in an old box in the basement of a home in New Jersey about 20 years ago. In the box were 5 Civil War letters, two Union canteens, a stitched item reading "Union Forever" and this item. I can only assume that it is a Civil War leather tobacco pouch. It remains about 1/3 filled with what I assume is tobacco. I'm not sure why there is a stick attached to the bottom plug that goes inside the pouch. Am I correct in assuming this is a Civil War leather tobacco pouch? Please assist. It has been sitting in my basement for the past 20 years. Thanks.

Steve
Kansas
 

Attachments

  • ARROWHEAD 043.webp
    ARROWHEAD 043.webp
    27.8 KB · Views: 1,311
  • ARROWHEAD 044.webp
    ARROWHEAD 044.webp
    24.2 KB · Views: 1,300
Dump some of ther contents out and smoke it. If it blows up it is a pouch for gun powder missing the top brass nipple.
 
Upvote 0
johnnyi said:
Dump some of ther contents out and smoke it. If it blows up it is a pouch for gun powder missing the top brass nipple.

Johnnyi, Thanks for the response. I stopped smoking years ago, so I'm not going there, but the top portion is made of metal (heavily patina) and the cork that goes on top has a metal top as well. So, you think this is for gun powder? That makes sense. Thanks.

Steve
Kansas
 
Upvote 0
Kansas, I don't know, but seriously, if you have time dump a little out to photograph, and we can see if it is granular powder which should be pretty recognizable. Glad you don't smoke. I envy you!
 
Upvote 0
Thanks for your response. Here is a photograph of the contents of the leather pouch. Looks like tobacco. It does not have any scent to it. Thanks.

Steve
 

Attachments

  • powder 007.webp
    powder 007.webp
    30.6 KB · Views: 1,818
Upvote 0
looks like fine cut pipe tobacco
 
Upvote 0
johnnyi said:
looks like fine cut pipe tobacco

Johnnyi, Is there any value in this pouch to your knowledge? I collect Native American artifacts and do not have any interest in this item. I was going to place it on Ebay.

Steve
Kansas
 
Upvote 0
Try putting a pinch of it in a glass of water...if the water starts turning brown right away, it could be tobacco.
 
Upvote 0
Kansas, I really don't know about the value of such things. Before you do anything though you must find out exactly what it is and from what time period. Even the stick inside is interesting, and as it seems to be secured, I wonder if it might be cedar used to preserve the tobacco? If you can get a real expert on wood to look at that part it might confirm without doubt that it was made for tobacco. At any rate it is wonderful and everything about it says age.
 
Upvote 0
Johnnyi, thanks again for your advice. I decided to sell it and have already placed same on Ebay. I described it exactly as I know it. We'll see what type of response I get. Have a great day!

Steve
Kansas
 
Upvote 0
KansasFinds said:
Johnnyi, thanks again for your advice. I decided to sell it and have already placed same on Ebay. I described it exactly as I know it. We'll see what type of response I get. Have a great day!

Steve
Kansas
Could you give us the eBay link or the key words? I couldnt find it.
 
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
KansasFinds said:
Johnnyi, thanks again for your advice. I decided to sell it and have already placed same on Ebay. I described it exactly as I know it. We'll see what type of response I get. Have a great day!

Steve
Kansas
Could you give us the eBay link or the key words? I couldnt find it.

I posted it hours ago. I can see the listing in My Ebay, but it is not showing to the public. I have 30 other auctions on Ebay right now and did not have a problem with any of those listings. I see a comment from Ebay that there is some technical issues and that the seller may need to alert Ebay if the item is not showing. I will give that a try. I have never had this type of problem before. I will have it posted asap. Thanks.

Steve
Kansas
 
Upvote 0
KansasFinds said:
Thanks for your response. Here is a photograph of the contents of the leather pouch. Looks like tobacco. It does not have any scent to it. Thanks.

Steve
i smoked for 21 years 3 packs a day. and 1 year 8 months ago i quit. but that is tobacco for sure
 
Upvote 0
Don't think it's a tamper Buck. It is stitched into the bottom of the pouch. I still say cedar to keep it fresh.
 
Upvote 0
just a guess, but the wood is probably there to remove the moisture and keep a void in the pouch to keep the tabaco from packing down in it.
kim
 
Upvote 0
I have posted the item to Ebay, but changed the number to 270437418099. The first auction would not work right. I have been on line with Ebay chat for 30 minutes trying to find out why the public can only view this auction by the auction number. Ebay said that the auction is 'indexing' and the item can be found by the key words 'civil' 'war' 'tobacco' 'leather' within the next 12 hours. I am surprised with this delay, as I have been selling on Ebay for years and never encountered a problem like this one. Anyway, the item was posted. We'll see what happens. I'm not too concerned about it. I was just very curious to know what the item was used for. I appreciate everyone's assistance and comments.

Steve
Kansas
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom