✅ SOLVED Civil War Navy button?

Hoosier Digger

Jul 12, 2014
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro and Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
button front.jpg This button was found at a local park in central Indiana. The park was established on the site of an old farm which I believe was built at the beginning of the 1900's. I was detecting over where I believe the old home once stood. I did not find any coins to date the area, only some old rusted clock parts and a harmonica reed. I found a short square nail that I suspect was a horseshoe nail. The design of the button is obviously that of a Civil War naval button, but I do not know if this is a legitimate Civil War button or a later reproduction. Here is a picture of the back. button back.jpg

duggap

Bronze Member
Dec 11, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
Detector(s) used
Tosoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nope, your button is a fashion button. You can tell by the back being made of iron (or tin).

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Duggap is correct, it is an imitation of an actual US Navy button, manufactured for use on civilian coats. (Button-collectors call civilian-usage buttons with an ornate emblem "Fashion" buttons because they are made for the Fashion clothing industry.)

As Duggap indicated, the main ID clue that your navy button is a civilian-usage imitation is that it has an iron back. (Sometimes the iron back will be rusted out.) Other ID-clues that your navy button is a non-military imitation are:
1- The rope encircling the emblem (called a "rope border") does not pass through the ring on the anchor's top.
2- Very "rounded-top" wings.
3- Low-quality detailing in the die used to stamp the emblem into the metal button's front.
Compare your button with an actual civil war era US Navy button's deeply-detailed emblem, pointed-top wings, and anchor-ring position, shown in the photo below.

Attachments

• button_Navy_US_horizontal-anchor_ScovillMfgCo_photobyRelicman_B5983.jpg
    button_Navy_US_horizontal-anchor_ScovillMfgCo_photobyRelicman_B5983.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 315
Upvote 0
OP
OP
H

Hoosier Digger

Jul 12, 2014
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro and Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you both! I suspected the rust on the back was a giveaway, but I am totally ignorant of both buttons and Civil War relics. I sill wish I knew how old it is. The house sat there through most of the 20th century, but I am just not sure at which point the button was manufactured. For me, it is still a fun find. I do appreciate your help! Thanks again.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread