CIVIL WAR? Real OR Fake?? NON-DUG.

tokenhead

Feb 14, 2006
Erie,PA.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently found this "plate",Etc.,I do not know what this may have been used for IF it is actually from 1862...The back has a date stamp 1862 and the font is consistent with a date you would see on a rifle,sword and most ordinace related item's.
It is made of lead and is very well done.And is very simmilar to many other brass,copper and other metal's i've seen used on ORIGINAL Civil War item's.
None the less i LOVE egales so it's a keeper,Any information on this item will be greatly appreciated,THANK YOU FOR LOOKING!!!

THE BACK IS very HARD TO GET A CLEAR PIC,I'll try again later.

Attachments

• DSCI6407.JPG
    DSCI6407.JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 102
  • DSCI6408.JPG
    DSCI6408.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 116
  • DSCI6409.JPG
    DSCI6409.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 110
  • DSCI6413.JPG
    DSCI6413.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 103
  • DSCI6419.JPG
    DSCI6419.JPG
    42.5 KB · Views: 121
  • DSCI6423.JPG
    DSCI6423.JPG
    53 KB · Views: 103
  • DSCI6424.JPG
    DSCI6424.JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 104
All of the civil war Original belt buckles with that exact emblem on the front were made of a thin stamped-sheetbrass shell whose back was completely filled with solder. So, because you say this buckle is made of lead (with no sheetbrass front, which ought to be obvious if it has one), it is a modern era Reproduction of a civil war era Misisssippi State Militia belt buckle.

Upvote 0
All of the civil war Original belt buckles with that exact emblem on the front were made of a thin stamped-sheetbrass shell whose back was completely filled with solder. So, because you say this buckle is made of lead (with no sheetbrass front, which ought to be obvious if it has one), it is a modern era Reproduction of a civil war era Misisssippi State Militia belt buckle.
Thank you for the input but i was not asking if it was a buckle,It appear's to be a plaque of sort's.See the hole's at either end? Like to be nailed on to something,As most item's they NEED to be in hand.I personally(based on where bought,An ex militaria collector)think it's an attachment of some kind,Again THANK YOU for your input.HAPPY HUNTING ALL:thumbsup:!!!

Upvote 0
I've seen this exact plate (including the holes) for sale recently on Ebay. It's a faked copy of a Mississippi belt plate. Made to deceive.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back