🥇 BANNER Civil War Relic Hunting at its Finest: A GRAND SLAM Of A Site!!!

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VIRGIN CIVIL WAR CAMPSITE

Hey Guys :hello:, well I must say, sites like this don't come along too often. This site has everything that you could ask for in a Virgin Civil War site and ALOT

of it: Plates, Buttons, Bullets, Accoutrements; A GRAND SLAM! The area is known to me and I've dug alot of good stuff from sites near this one. This was private property and it just

so happened that I was able to gain permission as soon as it was opened up and realized that I was on a stellar site when I swept the coil and couldn't make a single sweep without

digging 5 or 6 Civil War Bullets everytime! Within 20 minutes of the first day I had nearly 40 dropped Minies in the pouch but it was almost dark so I decided to come back the next

day. The next afternoon, the very first signal I dug as soon as I walked on the site was a nice 2 Piece Muffin Button :headbang: The very next signal was another button, this one

Loaded with Gilt, I thought that it would be and Eagle "I" or Eagle "A" but when I lightly brushed away the dirt, a big, Beautiful "R" for Riflemens was staring back up at me! :hello2: A

few moments later, I got a good Silver Signal and popped out an 1857 Seated Dime, walked it to the truck and came back and picked up the detector to finish the sweep and BOOM,

another Silver signal; I poppedthe plug and sawanother silver disc the size of a Dime. I was thinking "Come on Be another Seated" even though I was not holding my breath. When I

removed enough dirt, I saw ANOTHER Seated Lady: 2 Seateds in one Swing. About 20 more minutes go by and I got a nice Brass Signal:

There's more. The next day was the start of the weekend and I invited my buddy Roger aka Getty down from Maryland to dig. He ended up digging many firsts including a Fatty Indian,

TentTensioner, Dandy Button with alot of Gilt and many nice buttons AND.....HIS VERY FIRST U.S. Plate!! :headbang: :headbang: It was a pleasure watching the excitement in his look

and seeing his hands shaking from the adrenaline and excitement of the moment. Congrats Rog on your first U.S. Plate buddy! This was a STELLAR hunt All Day my friend
! :icon_thumleft:

:icon_thumleft: :wink:

I decided to take some more photos of some of the relics as I dug them up. Here's a few fresh out of the hole:

Regulation 1851 Officers Eagle Sword Belt Plate
Virgin CW Site Eagle Belt Plateed.jpg

This photo shows a Williams Cleaner, an Eagle "I" Coat Button, and a Minie that were ALL 3 in the same hole. Roger witnessed me digging them because I kept telling him "ANOTHER signal in the hole" :laughing9: In addition, it shows one of the Seateds still in the dirt clump, a bullet and another Seated that were in the same hole together and a pile of the buttons from the First Day

Virgin CW Site 2 ed.jpg

Virgin CW Site 3 ed.jpg

Virgin CW Siteed.jpg

FRESH FROM THE POUCH, DAY ONE'S FINDS (plus the bullets from the 20 mins. the day before):

Virgin CW Site 8.jpg

PHOTOS OF ALL THE DAYS' FINDS CLEANED: (Plate still has some dirt clumped on the face, haven't finished cleaning all the way)

BULLETS: The Final Count Up to This Point is 72

Virgin CW Site Eagle Belt Plateed.jpg

Virgin CW Site 2 ed.jpg

Eagle "R" and Carved Minie
6899709556_b5154b2f98_c.jpg

This bullet shows the Southern soldiers were firing back at them. One of the only Enfields I found at this site:
7045803349_52a1e30e57_c.jpg

BUTTONS
7022696775_989ab871b6_b.jpg

COINS
6899706596_207e6fb2f5_b.jpg

PLATES, BULLETS, BUTTONS, ACCOUTREMENTS

Virgin CW Site 3 ed.jpg

Virgin CW Siteed.jpg

Virgin CW Site 8.jpg

Virgin CW Site 13.jpg

LINK TO SECOND PART OF THE HUNT: http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,424645.msg3028340.html#msg3028340

This Site typifies the finest that a Virgin Site has to offer and shows that there's still ALOT of stuff out there to be found! Thanks For Looking :hello: :occasion14:

Attachments

• Virgin CW Site 14.gif
    Virgin CW Site 14.gif
    411 KB · Views: 9,496
  • Virgin CW Site 9.jpg
    Virgin CW Site 9.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 7,460
  • Virgin CW Site 10.jpg
    Virgin CW Site 10.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 7,384
  • Virgin CW Site 12.jpg
    Virgin CW Site 12.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 6,983
  • Virgin CW Site 11.jpg
    Virgin CW Site 11.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 7,114
Last edited:
Upvote 0

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sentinel, WOW is all I can say . . .this hunt is unreal! :thumbsup: I'm sure your heart was thumping and working overtime! I'd probably pitch a tent and not sleep until every piece of dirt was turned over :laughing7: Congrats, Breezie

kyphote

Jan 12, 2010
Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, GPX 4800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A belated congratulations, Sentinel, for one of your patented stellar finds! I'm not liberal with the word "legend," but every glance at your banner list continues to nudge me there. Ok, maybe I'm there... :notworthy:

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Breezie said:
Sentinel, WOW is all I can say . . .this hunt is unreal! :thumbsup: I'm sure your heart was thumping and working overtime! I'd probably pitch a tent and not sleep until every piece of dirt was turned over :laughing7: Congrats, Breezie

LOL, I've broken out the tents before for relic hunting, however, I didn't have to at this site. Thanks for the compliment :thumbsup:

kyphote said:
A belated congratulations, Sentinel, for one of your patented stellar finds! I'm not liberal with the word "legend," but every glance at your banner list continues to nudge me there. Ok, maybe I'm there... :notworthy:
KYPhote, thank you my friend, if you're ever in this part of Virginia, shoot me a PM.

Montana Jim said:
:coffee2: Outstanding!

Thanks Jim. I'm sure we're gonna see some nice Indian War relics from you this season. I always enjoy those scenery photos of yours; beautiful country :thumbsup:

Indyfan73 said:
Crap dident leave anythiong for the rest of us did yoo LOL, love the finds congrats :headbang:

:wink: Trust me, there's plenty out there left to be had.

bearbqd

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2007
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXP II w/ Sunray X-1 probe, Garrett AT Pro/Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm just sooo floored by this site. I've only been in one site that came close to this and I can't hunt there anymore. Always in search of another place like this. You are so fortunate. MAN..... I am so jealous!

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great 3 or 4 day hunt ! Congrads an making todays finds Banner ! M.R.

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
I think it has all been said. All I can say is OUTSTANDING !!!

Glad for you. Very nice site you have found there.

Nice post, thanks for sharing it with us.

Ray S ECenFL

tennessee digger

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2011
Nashville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Troy Shadow Fisher Gold Bug Pro Minelab Equinox 600.
What a great place! You did well and have inspired me to try to find some new places. Congrats on some great relics. Tennessee Digger

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
Congrats Josh!! That is an amazing site and hunt and I'm so envious! I have detecting site envy! lol You are just an amazing researcher and digger in my book!

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MaineRelic said:
What a great 3 or 4 day hunt ! Congrads an making todays finds Banner ! M.R.

Hey thanks man, that was actually only from 2 small couple hour hunts. Hope the diggin is well in Maine! :occasion14:

cntrydncr1 said:
Congrats Josh!! That is an amazing site and hunt and I'm so envious! I have detecting site envy! lol You are just an amazing researcher and digger in my book!
Thanks Deb, maybe I can take you out sometime if you're ever in the area again. Are you going to DIV?

tennessee digger said:
What a great place! You did well and have inspired me to try to find some new places. Congrats on some great relics. Tennessee Digger

Thanks TennesseeD, yes sir, the good stuff is only one more site away, maybe that next knock on the door. Happy Hunting my friend and hope you get a Bunch of CW Tennessee relics this fall :occasion14:

Aquila

Jun 9, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 150, Golden mask 3
You have very nice relics there. Congrats for making the Banner :headbang:

Seabiscuit

Jan 2, 2010
Detector(s) used
F-75, CZ-20, Troy Shadow
Very Very nice spot you found Josh! Good for you on doing your homework. It should keep you busy for a long time. Well done.
Seabiscuit

Troyounce

Nov 18, 2003
Clyde,Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
GP3000
TESORO LOBO
GARRETT GTI 2500 + Eagle eye
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy Grail ! What a Super Site! Congratulations on some great finds!

Hoping to find a hunt going on in Virginia next year... If anyone knows of one please let me know!

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Just WOW!!!!

One of my goals in life is to dig a real CW bullet...and you have over 70 of them.

I am in awe of your finds!!!!

Congrats!!!!!

P.S.-If you need a noob with to help you out, let me know, LOL.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Superb finds! Excellent site.

All the best,

Lanny

Troyounce

Nov 18, 2003
Clyde,Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
GP3000
TESORO LOBO
GARRETT GTI 2500 + Eagle eye
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every time I see all that you found I just get taken back in awe! What a site!

To find an untouched site must give you such a great feeling not knowing what you might find next!

I was fortunate enough to pull not one but two Sword belt plates this year here in Ohio! Not in the shape yours are but I did find the keeper to the one that is my Avatar picture...

Again... WOW!!! :icon_thumright:

Troyoz-OH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread