Civil War Relics and a "Bs" Nest

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
I finally got out for some long overdue relic hunting off the beaten path. Digging opportunities have been extremely limited this summer due to a busy schedule, family, trips etc. Anyway after receiving the go ahead from the wives we ventured out to a new area in hopes of stumbling on some period glass, which is always on the top of my wish list. Despite hours of searching the glass was elusive and broken, however I lucked into a firepit, which was evidently popular in its day. Its always a sign of good things to come when an eagle button roles out of the sidewall with the first shovel full of dirt and this pit didnt dissapoint. A nice variety of uniform and camp brass surfaced as well as a couple of quality firsts. I love dated relics and to find 3 in one small area is exceptional. The 1851 Goodyear button, 1863 suspender buckle and 1856 Helvetia 1 Rappen were the highlights for me. How a coin from a small Swiss province ended up at a rural frontier fort will remain a mystery, however imagining its journey is a true privelege. Also recovered were the brass remains of a complete Union Kepi including the hunting horn, 2 kepi buttons, buckle, company letter and regimental number. Portions of other Kepis were uncovered in the pit as well as the remains of a burnt Knapsack. Also eyeballed were small bone buttons and an indian trade bead. Nothing compares to saving history! Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• Relics all med.JPG
    Relics all med.JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 193
  • Relics closeup med.JPG
    Relics closeup med.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 200
  • kepi parts med.JPG
    kepi parts med.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 177
  • dated closeup med.JPG
    dated closeup med.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 184
  • bullet on sift med.JPG
    bullet on sift med.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 173
Upvote 19
OP
OP
metalev4

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
More Pics

Attachments

• iron med.JPG
    iron med.JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 133
  • Bs in box med.JPG
    Bs in box med.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 134
  • With B.jpg
    With B.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 144

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome assortment Of finds.

' A great day yall , had there.'

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Evan - you guys had another outstanding hunt as usual. That site keeps giving up copious amounts of relics each time you visit there. And that Swiss coin is indeed a crazy find for a rural frontier fort. Good luck figuring out that one.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The coin is certainly out of place, great assortment of finds for the outing.

qaela4

Bronze Member
Jul 24, 2014
Keene, New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Silver,Tesoro Silver Sabre uMax.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Still going to sleep at night day dreaming of finding a spot like this. Awesome collection of stuff. Great job saving the past for the future.

david680

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2014
Salem, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. Love the Switzerland 1 Rappen, particularly being from the 1850's.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Love the digs...and the vintage star wars shirt!

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy smokes, that's a lot of great finds! I know how you love your fire pits and that one sure did produce. Mike's Hard Lemonade? C'mon Evan!! :laughing7:

OP
OP
metalev4

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
Thanks Joe, looking forward to digging with you again this spring. I think we can find some fire pits near those ringtails. The Mikes is like Relic Hunters gatorade:) Good luck this season, I am pulling for you to find the next Lord Baltimore.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Buttons, bullets, buckles and even some "B"'s. What a great site you found. I guess the sifter and shovel really helped cut down on time and multiplied the finds there for you guys! Amazing.....

Last edited:

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that's a huge amount of great finds. Congrats on a very productive hunt.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No glass this time but once again you got some nice buttons and insignia. Are all your finds from digging and sifting, or did you get some keepers with the detector too?

OP
OP
metalev4

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
Did quite a bit of detecting too Steve. Located a pile of cartridges and alot of iron. The firepit took most of the time though. One of these days that trash pit loaded with bottles will turn up.
-Evan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread