JBnNC

May 25, 2013
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Saturday was one of my favorite Civil War relic hunting days ever. My hunting buddy and I were in a flooded bottom where we thought there could be some CW items. About thirty minutes into the hunt I got a big iron sound that turned into my first ever CW rifle.....it's in pretty bad shape in terms of the amount of rust, but that's OK I'll take it.

After finishing up with the rifle I eased along the water's edge and at the base of a tree I got a good bullet signal....then another and another and another. I spent the next four hours digging bullets in the roots of that one tree and ended up with 93 and almost all were unfired CS Hi Base 3-ringers.

Finally, on the way out at the end of the day, I found a nice eagle breast plate.

A great hunt!!

Attachments

• IMG_8751.jpg
    IMG_8751.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 267
  • IMG_8763.PNG
    IMG_8763.PNG
    642.2 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_8757.jpg
    IMG_8757.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 193
  • IMG_8736.jpg
    IMG_8736.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 196
Upvote 67
Unbelievable. Its still out there isn't it. I would love to find a spot like that but there was almost no civil war action in my area. great hunt, I really envy you.

Oh to have Civil War locations, like that, near me. Gosh dang that’s some awesome history! I hope you find a complete firearm soon.

JB, you knocked it out of the park on that spot. All great finds and saves on the musket barrel, the Eagle Breast plate, and all that Confetrit' lead. These will look great in your display.

Wow!!! Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!!

JB, you knocked it out of the park on that spot. All great finds and saves on the musket barrel, the Eagle Breast plate, and all that Confetrit' lead. These will look great in your display.

Thanks devldog, the large portion of the barrel and the lock plate are probably the only parts of the gun that will survive. The hammer and the butt plate have a tiny piece of metal surrounded by thick rust, no way they would come out of electrolysis.
I'm going back to that tree for more bullets when it dries out a little, I could hear more lead but I couldn't reach any deeper into that cold water...I was almost up to my arm pits...never been so wet and muddy while digging in Feb.

Almost unheard of these days but they are out there. Great saves there JB :icon_thumright: Love that lead!! Congrats

Wow! That’s how it’s done!!! Tuff digging, but well worth it. I’ve always avoided swampy areas thinking that any metal targets would sink beyond the detectors reach. Congrats

If you are digging in that soup you deserve those finds for sure :laughing7:

Congrats

What can I say the others haven’t!? But WOW!! I would certainly bet that site holds much more... so wait patiently until spring, warmer weather and hopefully drier conditions and DRAIN THE SWAMP! Congrats on a day that I’m extremely envious of... Ddf.

Congrats on some great Civil War finds. I like the way you displayed your bullets.

Great finds there!!! That breastplate looks like a whopper of a find! Good luck with preservation of the gun... also a very cool find!

You definitely had a great day there!

Congrats on a great dig and some awesome saves! You certainly earned them:occasion14:

Nice. That's the way to do it. We all know the easy spots have been hit to death but there is so much still out there.

Very nice! Congrats!

Huge congrats man. What a great day!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back