Clams!!!!

Slytlytilted

Jun 19, 2007
Ok here's a pretty good recipe' for steamed clams, i use cherrystone or those blackshelled ones from maine.This works best with 2-4lbs of clams. First soak clams overnight add a little oatmeal this helps clean the clams or so i been told.Change the water after 6 hours the next day while your prepaing the ingredients drain the water in a large strainer an run cold water over clams,not alot just enough to keep them cool an happy!! While the water is running, finely dice or chop 4-6 big cloves of garlic and a handful or 1 bunch of parsley, Add some olive oil or vegetable oil if you dont like olive to the bottom of a large stock pot just enough to cover the bottom, an just a touch more. Heat up the oil,when it start to turn or move a little, add the garlic,keep an eye on it*important* when the garlic starts to change from white to yellow orange add the parsley quickly and about 2 cups of drinking wine preferably a blush wine like Bellagio or your favorite blush or white wine, then add the clams an put the lid on.An steam away or just cook till clams open.Save the broth it has a wonderful flavor,sieve the broth for chowder you'll be glad you did.Enjoy!!

ingred: 2-4lbs clams
1 tblspn oatmeal
1 head of garlic
1 bunch of parsley (fresh)
bottle of olive oil
1 bottle of Bellagio or good quality drinking wine

wesfrye53

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
Springfield, TN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202
I just got done eating the last of my Vidalia Onion Pie and tempted to run to a Kroger and buy some clams! Sounds tasty!

dandan

Feb 24, 2006
P.S. salt the water that you soak them in. Fresh water kills the salt water clam.

Thor!

Aug 30, 2005
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
1280X & Sovereign
From the clam capitol (Cape Cod). There is usually no need to soak cherristones or any other Hardshell clams (called quahogs "co-hogs"). They keep just fine in the fridge fresh dug for a week or so. Softshell clams (steamers) are sometimes full of sand when fresh dug they require time to "spit" soaked in saltwater some people do add CORNMEAL to the soak water supposedly it irritates the little buggers and makes them spit more. Store bought steamers are usually kept in filtered tanks and require no cleaning. The recipe for steaming you posted sounds very good! We usually just steam them in water or beer. Safety note: Before cooking clams put them in a bowl or sink full of water fresh is fine if they float they are dead and inedible!!!!!!!!!!!!! There should be no odor to them either!

stoneseeker2003

Dec 7, 2007
Oregon, Willamette Valley(left side).
Detector(s) used
Whites PRL1
" First soak clams overnight add a little oatmeal this helps clean the clams or so i been told."

This is true!!! The clams siphon the Oatmeal water and it cleans them out, the intestional tract, I mean.
I knew that Bayography class in 7th grade would come in handy one day. Thanks Mr. Brown!!!!

S

stefen

Had some local clams in La Connor Washington that were steamed in beer....that along with cheese garlic bread and a cold draft...Mmmmmmmmmmm

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions