classic 5id

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
They are modified White's for Kellyco and only take the Prism 950 or the Prism 8 inch coils.
You would be better off finding a used White's IDX, which uses the XLT coils, more options, 4 inch, 4X6, 8 inch, 9.5 open center and 15 inch are available for them.

Just my opinion.......Also check this forum for other's postings on the White's IDX.

Dimeman

TonyinCT

Mar 14, 2006
Granby, CT
These are the same as the old Whites Classic ID. The discount price is not much better than what they were discounted when new and sold as the ID. Better off getting a Prizm V or M6. 8)

OP
OP
B

Bick

Greenie
Dec 5, 2006
Doesn't anyone own a Whites classic 5 ID ? Alot of you have looked at my question, got 2 sorta answers. Please, if their are any classic 5 owners out there...contact me.

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
Bick said:
Just wondering if anyone has a Whites classic 5id? I am REALLY thinking about buying one , but wanted a little info first. Like depth, reliability and such. Thanks in advance for any help.

I only have a new M6, a used IDX and my old detector a Coinmaster Classic III.

I had done review searches on the net because I was going to buy the Classic 5ID, an upgrade for my old detector. I even found someone who had a Classic 5id, and they let me try it for about 20 minutes.

Searching online,I had found out it only had 2 coil options,it uses the same coils as the Prism, a 8 inch or the 9.5 inch. The depth wasn't as good as the older IDX and the IDX has more coil options. A 6 inch, 8 inch, 9.5 inch, 4X6 inch and if you can find one the 4 inch sniper.

The internet has loads of info, and forums like this have lots of information.

The IDX reviews are better than the 5id, because of the better coil options, frequency adjustment and black sand switch on the IDX. Better depth, better reliability, and a better detector ...period.

kd8hf

Nov 12, 2004
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Classic ID
I have used the Classic ID but not too much.

It can be modified I believe at a cost of about $80 or so but unless one is willing, and able, to do it
themselves why pay the extra money when that same money can be used to invest in a higher end machine.

Just my two cents. :)

HH

Gary

Bill(de)

Feb 18, 2005
I had a Classic ID and remembered before it was modified and after and the modified performance advantage is like night and day.
Still have a Modified IDX Pro and think it's an excellent detector and if buying today i would definately pick the M6 over the Classic 5 or the Prism because of coil options, target id information, lightening quick GB and tracking etc. HH Bill

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a Classic 5id. My dad has an Ace 250. Frankly, I don't see much difference in the performance. Except pin-pointing and that may depend more on the user than the machine.

The 5id finds stuff. Depth seems OK. I have found coins at 6 - 8 inches down, but I have NOT done any real testing with it. Discriminates (identifies) well. Pin points easily. It's a decent machine for a beginner (like me) and not too many $$$. I got a package from Kellyco with a pinpointer and some other goodies. The pinpointer is a MUST HAVE for me.

All things considered though, I probably would NOT get the 5id if I had it to do again. But I made my bed. So I'll just sleep in it for awhile.

DCMatt

OP
OP
B

Bick

Greenie
Dec 5, 2006
Modified how or what ? Thanks for the replies fellas, should have asked sooner because I did order one. I got outbid on ebay a couple of time for a whites eagle, and a m6' so I gave up that route and just bought the Classic 5...hopefully I won't regret it.

kd8hf

Nov 12, 2004
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Classic ID
I don't think that you will regret it, especially if you "Learn" the machine and it's capabilities. :)

HH

Gary

Bill(de)

Feb 18, 2005
Hi Bick

I agree with Gary , just use what you got, learn it and it will reward you . When someone asks an opinion on what to buy and others respond it's almost inevitable to have many differing "Opinions" based on experiences ,brand or even model loyalty and some have reasons that aren't expressed in their responses, such as optional coils , i search out the trashiest areas of older parks and schools etc. and prefer small coils and a quick recovery speed detector, the M6 fits my needs as much as any detector i've used so far and i know many folks hunt trashy areas. Good luck and find some good spots to hunt but most important Have Fun. HH Bill

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bick,

Don't beat yourself up about the 5id. I'm sure it is WAY better than the MD you already had (which was none, right?). You'll find plenty of stuff and get satisfaction from it.

For me, it's a good machine to learn with, and to find out if this is a hobby I will continue, at a price I was willing to pay. Besides that, it LOOKS more impressive than my dad's Ace 250 :D. If I continue (and it I think I will...) I'll do more research, upgrade, and keep the 5id as a lender for the people who seem to want to tag along on my MD hunts.

Just have fun with it.

DCMatt

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread