clay bear?

josh34

Jul 11, 2006
Hi everyone,

I found this at a spot where we found other artifacts, I almost chunked it , but I showed it to my dad, and he realized it was something and cleaned it off. Not sure what it is, bear, bison? maybe a childs toy because its so small. You can feel where they pinched the clay in 2 spots, here are some pictures of both sides, any ideas? Josh

Attachments

• effigy77.jpg
    effigy77.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 389
  • effigy33.jpg
    effigy33.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 402
Upvote 0
A

Atlantis0077

Hummmm

You have a bit more imagination than I have. Normally effigy things...especially clay, and I am assuming its clay as per your "pinched" comments....are larger than that is. Its possible I guess, but probably being no larger than that is, it's just happenstance. I find pieces of pottery and stone that you can use your imagination to make most anything out of...are they artifacts, yes, are they intentional effigy artifacts, no.

I once found the torso of an Indian pottery doll. The head arms and legs were missing. I would have thought it was just a square piece of pottery and not given it any other thought, but another in another site close to mine was recorded and photographed small pottery figurines that could only be Indian "dolls" Very crudely made, but unmistakable. You could make out where the head, arms and legs would have gone on my piece. Would have killed for it whole, but the plow leaves few survivors.

Keep looking...it seems you have a very good site. With a timespan from paleo to pottery making you could find absolutely ANYthing in that site.

Happy Hunting,

Atlantis

OP
OP
J

josh34

Jul 11, 2006
Hey Atlantis,

These pictures are horrible, i took them on my scanner, I'll try to take some better ones. I hear what your saying, i'm not sure what is it, but its definitely something. its made out of clay and its been cooked . It was pinched in the back, and pushed down on top. I guess you really can't tell from these pics, but its manmade. Take it easy, Josh

bean man

Sep 2, 2006
Central Iowa
Hi Josh,

I got a BIG imagination and I see a buffalo! I do'nt know that much about artifacts but I am finding out that trying to convince someone that
something that is not recognized and in the books, is a artifact is almost impossible. I believe that anything unusual found in a known indian
area should be held on to, and if you can see subtle work on it, that is hard to catch with a photo and you feel like it is something thats good
enough for me.

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
I won't say that it's not for sure but IMHO I don't believe that it's an effigy. IMO it's probably a waste piece of clay from the making of a pottery vessel.

A

Atlantis0077

Morning,

Had a fellow once tell me he had found some Indian snakes.....OK I said....now what the heck you talking about man? Now in the pottery making process the Indians coiled pottery and then pinched and paddled it into shape....but the infant stages of a pot is done by taking a ball of clay and rolling it into a long cylinder about the size of your little finger.......you know where I am going now.

The guy had found a site where pottery had been manufactured and picked up several of these baked coils. They do resemble a snake if you use your imagination and they are baked pottery. Are they effigy snakes....not usually.

The Indians did make a lot of stuff and not all of it is listed in a book, but normally what you find wont veer too far from known boundaries. In my experience about the only place you are going to find "off the wall" stuff is in burials....especially high status burials. Seems the artisans worked overtime making stuff for them.....that is where you find relics that the books are made of....very nice stuff.

Used to be a fellow here who was very intelligent...a lawyer in fact.....got off on the wacky weed and spent about three years of his life wandering the creeks a bayous here. Somewhere in his "travels" astral and otherwise ::) he found some type of burial ground. One time he came in the store here with a rock. He said it was a bass head. You know what? It was.....a stone carved head of a fish. Dont know what happened to him or it, but would have loved to have been able to add it to my collection. So you just never know what will show up. I try and keep an open mind on relics, but also must temper my enthusiasm with realism. Guess it comes from having been at this game 30+ years.

Happy Hunting,

Atlantis

B

burky

I found a bison shaped stone last year in a creek bed that i frequent. Never thought about it being made of clay.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread