Here's the whole bit: Went to Ark. to dig quartz crystals, and I stopped into an antique store. He had a couple of small milk bottles of these marbles, but I thought I wanted more. He helped me track the guy to Tenn. His story: He had a job excavating in Atlanta for the olympic village or whatever. They had found quite a few treasure troves, for obvious reasons. He said he found a cistern with 100,000 of these marbles, and after the job was over, started to market them. He figured they were from the 1820's or 30's. Only a few had the stars on them as in the pic. So I purchased 3000 of them from him. Later, I started wondering what they really were, and that is when I broke one open, compared it to "Benningtons" and found someone who said it is absolutely made of porcelain. As noted previously, the weight is significant compared to clays. At some point I began to wonder if he made them, or if he didn't, if he painted them. Maybe on the paint. But then I remembered that when I opened the buckets they were sent in, there was a lot of "bright red Georgia clay", and I had to hose the dust off the marbles. Made me change my mind back. I thought this was maybe too fine of a point for a faker to come up with. A few years ago, there was a guy on Ebay that would offer packages of CW "camp trash" and would include a couple of these in each group. I wrote him to see if he actually found them at the sites, and he shut up real fast. Didn't reply, and I was just curious. There are a couple of other things that have made me wonder, but I think that the marbles are original, and maybe/maybe not the paint. The marbles occasionally had flat spots where I suspect the "clay" was too wet and it settled, a couple were egg shaped, and a very few were smaller, although the size in general is quite uniform. And 12 or 15 different colors. I called back for the 4th order of 1000, but he was sold out. Someone really liked these things along with me.
That is why I am wondering about how long you think it may have been buried. If it was lost in the late 80's, then there are still some questions in my mind. If you are convinced that it has absolutely been their longer, then I have my questions answered and confirmed.
Fellow TNers: I know some of you have some of these. They seemed to have really made the rounds. I would be VERY interested if you have found anything like them, and if you purchased some, what your research and experience has been. The last thing I know for sure: The antique stores really like them. I sold them 100 at a time and made some decent money in the process. And I went back to a couple of stores later, just on a shopping trip, and they had sold out. Interesting.