SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Cleaned up pottery and glass from last week's colonial pit dig

I already posted my finds from last week's colonial trash pit dig a few days ago, but wanted to show a few pics after cleaning things up. Outside of the dated bottle seals, nothing really exceptional although there were a few interesting pieces of early pottery. Still need to do some electrolysis on some of the iron artifacts. Hope to get another opportunity to dig at this site in the near future. Thanks again Stan for the invite and great time.

Attachments

• 122911e.JPG
    122911e.JPG
    115.8 KB · Views: 723
  • 122911m.JPG
    122911m.JPG
    187.4 KB · Views: 601
  • 122911n.JPG
    122911n.JPG
    109.9 KB · Views: 599
  • 122911o.JPG
    122911o.JPG
    142.4 KB · Views: 656
  • 122911p.JPG
    122911p.JPG
    114.9 KB · Views: 647
  • 122911e.JPG
    122911e.JPG
    115.8 KB · Views: 726
Upvote 0

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: Cleaned up pottery and glass from last week's colonial pit dig

That is an impressive showing right there! Very nice .. Thanks for sharing! :thumbsup:

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Those are some early looking pipe bowls!

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yes that's an early pit that you're working definitely Bill, some great looking glass, to bad none of that stuff was still intact. Nice finds, Louis and I dug a site last week and I got some pipes and buttons etc. Nice job :icon_thumleft: :wink:

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

{Sentinel} said:
Yes that's an early pit that you're working definitely Bill, some great looking glass, to bad none of that stuff was still intact. Nice finds, Louis and I dug a site last week and I got some pipes and buttons etc. Nice job :icon_thumleft: :wink:

Thanks Josh. This is my friend's site located about 90 min away. I usually get an invite or 2 a year and always look forward to it. Some great finds including intact bottles and lots of coloonial silver have been dug at this mid-1600s site. This is the first time I've really done heavy sifting and it paid off nicely as I would never have found those seals otherwise. No telling how many of those I've missed over the years. I think I was concentrating solely on finding whole bottles which was a big mistake. I know better now. Good luck to you guys.

DiggerDave in Pa.

Jan 12, 2011
Huntingdon County Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT

Bill D. (VA) said:
{Sentinel} said:

Thanks Josh. This is my friend's site located about 90 min away. I usually get an invite or 2 a year and always look forward to it. Some great finds including intact bottles and lots of coloonial silver have been dug at this mid-1600s site. This is the first time I've really done heavy sifting and it paid off nicely as I would never have found those seals otherwise. No telling how many of those I've missed over the years. I think I was concentrating solely on finding whole bottles which was a big mistake. I know better now. Good luck to you guys.
That's some pretty impressive colonial stuff you found there. Those dated seals are very nice. It looks like those guys were doing alot of smoking. Thanks for sharing. DD.

Papa Bear

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2011
Western Territories
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Teknetics G2, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Nothing beats finding old glass. Great job!!

DMN

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2009

Wow Bill. All the pieces there for any of the bottles? And those seals....nothing short of fabulous!

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Holy cow, looks like you have a serious honey hole there Bill. Keep digging and keep posting. I am a big bottle collector and onions have always eluded me. I came close last year, like you I just got the broken bits. but one day I will have mine and you will too if you keep hitting spots like that. Nice going Bill. :thumbsup:
ZDD

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

DMN said:
Wow Bill. All the pieces there for any of the bottles? And those seals....nothing short of fabulous!

There are hundreds of broken black glass bottles in this trash dump so there's no way to attempt piecing anything together. Best chance is for a whole bottle to surface which has happened before a couple times. Same with the pottery. Seems like every colonial pit I dig contains shards from many different vessels, but only a very few of each. You'd think that every once in a while you'd find the majority or all of the pieces to something. But it doesn't seem to ever work out that way. So complete reconstructions are almost as hard to come by as whole items.

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006

Very nice Bill. I miss that kind of digging. Those Seals are awesome!
-Evan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread