What's new

Cleaning a 1916 Merc dime to see if it is a D mint mark

Johncoho

Silver Member
Joined
Feb 14, 2014
Messages
2,862
Reaction score
7,292
Golden Thread
0
Location
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dug this 1916 Mercury dime today and the back is covered with a crust that is quite a bit more than black tarnish, as you can see in the pics. I have tried the aluminum foil, baking soda, hot water on other silver coins and a sterling spoon that had the same crust, but it had limited success after many times over and over. Any suggestions on getting the crust off so I can see if this has a mint mark or not. As you can see this coin is not in the best condition, so I don't think it could be worsened by any cleaning method. Thank you. IMG_0001.webpIMG_0002.webp
 
A nice long soak in Olive Oil.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom