Cleaning a site

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Whites Prism II
so I'm trying to get permission to hunt a site that my common sense keeps trying to talk me out of. I'm not sure about the age of the house but the woods have almost completely reclaimed it.

my problem is the junk. It seems the last tenant was an Engine mechanic with a bad habit of dropping sparkplugs.
He also was a collector of soup cans which litter the place and seems to have had a bad habit of scattering box springs, refrigerators, screens and everyother piece of metal made across the area. But the house is in such a state of decay that I believe it predates Junkman.

does anyone bother cleaning a site like this to hunt? and if so how do you go about it? do you just dig everything and remove as you go or turn the discrimination up higher and just dig better sounding targets? or should I listen to common sense and not bother? just curious as to how you experienced hobbiest go about it.

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
If you have the time and the means, clean it; if you suspect it may hold good stuff, it could be worth the effort. I took the time once to clear around an old oak stump and it paid off nicely.

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Yea... kinda.

I guess you should do your thing, but I have carried out what seems like tons of trash. Mostly so I don't get bothered by it again, a lot because it a damned nice thing to do for the people who give you permission, and a very little because it helps the next guy out.

I think if you DIG it out, you should dispose of it rather than leaving it there to be reclaimed once again in 10 years or reburying it. Although if it's a huge rusty piece of *&!@$ half-a-stove laying on top, I will usually bypass it.

I also sleep very well at night after discriminating out the crap for better finds... I don't pick it up because it's there... I also don't dig everything... passing stuff by.

I prolly confussed someone. :-\

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
it depends on how much promise you think the site has. it will take tons of time, and tons of work to clean it out, but it just might be worth it. then again..maybe not. have you tried using a small sniper coil at this site? it may me usefull to help you get between all of the crap and only detect the really good sounding targets. if you start finding good stuff, maybe then it would be worth cleaning out. i have a lot of sites like the one you describe. most of them i leave alone because i just dont have the confidance in them. so like i said..it depends. ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread