Poll...who ADMITS they want to find valuables with their metal detectors ?

rumme

Apr 2, 2007
Let me be the 1st to admit that I look forward to and will enjoy finding valuable items with my detector and I have no shame in admitting as such. I only post this message because it seems there are many people claiming they could care less about finding valuable items with their detectors. I want to see how many people on here can be honest with themselves and admit they want to find the goodies and they look forward to find the goodies.

Even if I dont find the goodies, I am looking forward to recieving many goodies from all the people on this forum who claim the goodies are not a part of what drives them to do this hobby. I should be recieivng ALOT of gold, silver, jewelry and coinage from these people in the near future. After all, they say those items of monetary value is meanignless to them...so it only makes sense that if that was the case, they would send all that stuff to me and I would even pay postage for it. ;) ;) ;)

Handyman

Mar 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Whatever I find is cake. Anything valuable is just icing on the cake.

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
You could have used the "poll" option...

Anyway... I admit I'd like to find valuables. Thats a no-brainer.

But, I dont expect to. I don't set out to. It's fun reguardless. My relics are valuable to me, probebly valuable to others, and certainly what I set out to find.

But if you are actually expecting folks to say they "dont want to find valuables..." I think you will come up short. No matter WHY we MD and no matter WHAT we MD for... there is already value placed on that thing! Finding something worth monetary value over all that is a bonus! Of course we would all want that! IMHO... I can't speak for everyone...

I love cake - if it has frosting it's just that much better!

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Of course I want to find valuables with my detector, but the reality is that very few find anything spectacular. What many of us find, however, and are satisfied with, are a steady stream of nice finds. I may never find anything worth a thousand dollars, but I have found many pieces worth 10, 20, and 50 dollars, even more. The race isn't always to the swift, but to the persistent. Should the day come that I find something spectacular, I'll be delighted.

CSOhio

Apr 13, 2007
Ohio
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
id love to find something worth alot of money who wouldnt that is what makes it so much fun not knowing what we might find.

OP
OP
R

rumme

Apr 2, 2007
cool...I just wanted to check if my opininions were so rare concerning how I want to find valuables and if I knew ahead of time with 100% certaintiy that I would NEVER have the possibility of finding items of monetary value, I would not even get into the hobby. Evidently many people on this forum are implying they would still love this hobby even if it never resulted in them finding items of value. I find it difficult to believe that people would spend $500 or more for a detector that was only capable of finding worthless items like rusty nails or bottle caps and those same people would be claiming they do it only for the exercise and dont care about finding items of monetary value....

many of thiose people are trying to compare metal detecting as a hobby to other hobbies like ATVing or hunting..etc....but they seem to not realzie that metal detectors are marketed mostly from a viewpoint that the detector has the ability to find valuables for its operator/owner. People dont purchase ATVS for the purpose of sniffing out gold, coins, jewelry etc...so comparing those hobbies to each other is liek comapring apples to oranges. IMHO...

I wonder....if there was a new comapny that came out and sold metal detectors and had this slogan :

" buy our detectors just to get exercise becuase our detectors are 100% incapable of finding any items of value"

I wonder how many detectors that company would sell to those people who claim they only do this hobby for exercise purposes and dont care about finding items of value ::) ::) ::)

OP
OP
R

rumme

Apr 2, 2007
halfdime said:
Of course I want to find valuables with my detector, but the reality is that very few find anything spectacular. What many of us find, however, and are satisfied with, are a steady stream of nice finds. I may never find anything worth a thousand dollars, but I have found many pieces worth 10, 20, and 50 dollars, even more. The race isn't always to the swift, but to the persistent. Should the day come that I find something spectacular, I'll be delighted.

cool...finding itesm worht $10-$20 or $50 like you have is worth it...those items have value from a monetary standpoint that provide a return on the unit you purchased. I just find it disengenious that there are so many on this forum claiming they dont care if they find anything worth value...IMHO...many of these people are just fooling themselves. Heck, they shouldnt even put batteires in their metal detectors if all they want is exercise....just swing the detector and dig a hole every 1 -2 minutes ..LOL... ::) ::)

Woody14

Apr 3, 2007
Central New York
Detector(s) used
MXT
As I said before. If your just in it for getting rich, you will get tired of the hobby. So once again, when that happens let me know how much you will sell me your detector for. ;)

OP
OP
R

rumme

Apr 2, 2007
Woody14 said:
As I said before. If your just in it for getting rich, you will get tired of the hobby. So once again, when that happens let me know how much you will sell me your detector for. ;)

please...show me where I stated I was in it " just to get rich" ..once you are able to do that, you will have a point ...until then...well you know ;) ;)

finding a item that has some value ...and then trying to create an analogy to that which implys

" Im only in it to " get rich"

is a very exagerrated claim.

Woody14

Apr 3, 2007
Central New York
Detector(s) used
MXT
I figure I spent $379.99 on a detector...if after a year of learning the machine and searching several times a week, all year long, if I havent recouped at least half of my purchase price for the detcetor, I will be severly dissapointed and probably sell my detector. I certainly have many other hobbies I could enjoy more then diggin up nothing but junk and rusty nails without ever getting some type of payoff with a good find.

..once again, when your ready, please email me ;) (though in all honesty, I hope you find a big cache)

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
Check out my Avatar. Now I may never find one but I sure have quite a few. I take all the clad I find and when I have saved up enough I buy one .(MS-61) After 40+ years you would be surprised how much you can find and how many coins you can buy

HH

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal
When I first started going out, I yearned for finding something valuable. Every time I would come home with a pocket full of pull tabs, I was extremely disappointed. Over the years I have learned to enjoy the "experience" of metal detecting.

Since I got my first detector back in 96, I have found my share of junk... and also my share of very valuable items. I do enjoy the experience, the quiet, the walking, the....

NAHHH... I still get pissed when I don't find anything good.

Steve

OP
OP
R

rumme

Apr 2, 2007
;D ;D ;D

Steve.thanks for the honest reply....your my kinda of person...

lucky1777

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2005
Illinois
I don't go out looking for valuables. I enjoy coin shooting and relic hunting. I get and amazing feeling when I pull a civil war button or bullet out of the ground. What was this person doing when he lost it. What did the bullet hit? I don't consider them valuable, because I don't sell my finds. I found a Mississippi I button and turned down a very generous offer.

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
Rumme

You see why it is difficult for you to understand a lot of responses is that you are talking to the SURVIVORS. The majority of users enter and quickly leave the hobby as they are not duplicating the finds in the White's commercials or other metal detecting hype. They simply don't have the "right stuff" for this hobby and they enter and leave TN every day.

As mentioned by others there must be something other than profit driving you in this hobby if you will survive the long term. You see you need this something else - this "right stuff" first otherwise you will never put in the hours and research necessary to find valuable items.

Detecting 43 years
George

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
I admit it, I want to find valuables with my detector, and I have. AND I also like getting out and doing something in my spare time. Sure beats tiddly winks.... ::)

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do value my relics! I even like junk as long as it is really old junk. Finding a bunch of clad does not interest me in the least but old coins do. Anything not still in circulation is cool but 1800s is a goal for me. A goal I look foreward to seeing come true soon I hope! But in the mean time I am happy being in the deep woods digging up pieces of history and wondering what life was like for the last person who held that object in there hand. That is what it is about for me. As far as valueable items go antiques are the best ones to find for me. I take photos and list them on ebay if I want memories I look at the photos on my computer. I only keep very few items in my collection and they are usually not very "valueable" but they tell a story of life in the past. but I must say I dream of finding the 15th known 1804 silver dollar and when I do it is straight to the auction block with it. Then it is a new house for me, one with a deep history and a big yard to dig up!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread