What's new

Cleaning a token

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2008
Messages
1,501
Reaction score
376
Golden Thread
1
Location
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This weekend I made a trip to Kansas and found a very small token. The only thing that I can make out is KANSAS and Taxi Token and the number 2 on the side. I think it is made of aluminum or some light alloy and is very corroded. Any ideas on how to remove or is it a lost cause?
 
If it has the pitted or bubbled look it might be lost, but if just discolored maybe a chance.
 
Iron Patch said:
If it has the pitted or bubbled look it might be lost, but if just discolored maybe a chance.

Thanks. I got one side cleaned pretty good but the other side I think is too corroded.
 
I haven't posted them yet but I just got done cleaning 2 tokens that I thought for sure were "gone".

I started with a hot peroxide soak, probably 6-8 times at about 15-20 minutes per session and scrubbing them with a soft tooth brush in between. This started to bring out some of the detail but I needed something stronger so I used electrolysis and now they look much better.

This exactly what I did. I hope this helps.
http://gometaldetecting.com/electrolysis_cleaning.htm
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom