cleaning clad?

Depends on now bad they are. I used to tumble them in a rock tumbler, rinse and roll them for turning them in at the bank.

Now I rinse them off and put them in a Coinstar machine at the supermarket. I lose a small percentage, but it saves a lot of time and that is something that you never get back. Saves cleaning, counting, rolling or buying the paper rolls for the automatic coin counter, saves a lot of time.

mine go in a mesh bag and then in the washing machine, then to coinstar

I just rinse the clad coins off when I bring them home after the hunt and throw them in the "collection jar". I recently spoke to the people at my bank and explained to them that I metal detect and had a lot of coins that were dug and not suitable for re-circulation due to being extremely dirty, black or partially eaten up by the mineralization in the ground such as zinc pennies. The purpose of this conversation was to try to find out how to get good money for these old weather-beaten coins. The bank told me to roll them and mark them D & M, (Dirty and Multilated) and bring them in and they would send them back to the Feds. I did take them in, around $150. worth, deposited them into the account and that was that. You might want to approach your bank and see if they will do this also. Sure beats having to tumble those things and give a perecentage to Coin-Star. Good Luck.

FL Junkman

I use a rock tumbler with water, sand and a little dish detergent.

NJ

I use my homemade tumbler. It's a 1/2 variable speed drill, connected to a 2 pound coffee can with a bolt. A 2 quart juice bottle fits nicely inside the can. Fill the bottle with a bunch of coins, some aquarium gravel, dish soap and water. Works great!

Attachments

• tumbler.jpg
    tumbler.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 168
I use a rock tumbler, aquarium gravel and some soap and water. Some banks have coin sorters in them and are free to their customers. (Unfortunately not my bank). I roll 'em and take 'em in after I tumblem 'em.

I toss them in a plastic tub with vinegar and salt and brush them clean with a tooth brush in about an hour or so. Don't use this on a valuable coin as it tends to pit the surface. Monty

that sounds quite simple. maybe i'll try that... ;)
Monty said:
I toss them in a plastic tub with vinegar and salt and brush them clean with a tooth brush in about an hour or so. Don't use this on a valuable coin as it tends to pit the surface. Monty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back