What's new

Cleaning ferrous stuff

AGirlGetsDirty

Full Member
Joined
Aug 12, 2013
Messages
101
Reaction score
52
Golden Thread
0
Location
Delaware
Detector(s) used
Minelab & Whites, Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi there, I know about electrolysis, but can you clean small iron crusted nails and things with a tumbler?
 
I don't know about a tumbler, but I have used lemon juice to free up rusted nuts and bolts.

Bill
 
A tumbler works great on rusty items. I dry tumbled a rusted socket I found, and some old skeleton keys, they came out really nice.
 
I must admit, I take the easy route, but it works. I do a bit of conservation and mounting work. Here is an actual example and the method used.
This applies to in ground iron, not salt water finds.
I wash the item in hot soapy water, then I soak it for app. one week in a plastic bucket, during this time, I take it out every day and wire brush it. The next step is to wipe it and then blow dry it then bake it in the oven at 200 degrees for about 4 hours. Now for the finishing. Give it 2 or 3 coats of Rustoleom Rust killing primer. Next spray it with Rustoleum flat black. After careful inspection you can now mount it. The finished product of this example is below. Frank...

HISTORICAL SURVEY 011-1-XI.webp
 
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom