*1 E.R Durkee & Co. Bottle
*1 Golden Crain Belt Beers Bottle
*1 Reif's Special

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A good way to clean the inside of bottles is soapy water with some sand mixed in. Slosh it around and it will remove dirt from the inside.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Here's a tip. Some of the bottles, particularly the Coke bottles contain magnesium. If you set them in sand with the sun shining on them for a few months, they get a bluish patina that is much sought after by collectors. Just something to think about. Frank

111-1 profile.jpg

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can turn bottles purple over night in an aluminum foil lined box and a ultra violet light. Don't look at the light. it will burn your eye balls. It's manganese. not magnesium.

ridger12

Apr 4, 2005
Sandy Ridge Pa
Detector(s) used
Minlab e-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In the past I have just soaked bottles in bleach. For stubborn stains put denture cleaning tablets in the bottle with water or cut small pieces of copper wire and put them in the bottle with soapy water and shake.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
pa hiker, You are probably right about the manganese. I picked that up from a bottle shop in AZ years ago. They just sit the boxes of bottles on the roof. Is that long wave or short wave ultra violet light you use. Frank

111-1 profile.jpg

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To tell you the truth Frankn, I don't know. The UV light I'm using came from a demolished elementary school. I went to school there in the late 50's and I remember these mounted to the walls in a metal case. They were "supposed" to kill germs. Every few weeks, our teacher would tell us to put our heads on our table and don't look at the light when she turned them on. My dad rescued one when the school was torn down and I use it now to color bottles.

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use BB's for a BB gun with soapy water, swoosh it around in a circular motion.

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use BB's for a BB gun with soapy water, swoosh it around in a circular motion.

I'd be cautious using bb's. I used to to use them until I broke a piece out of a thin bottle. I switched to sand after that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread