What's new

cleaning sea coins

donkarlos

Hero Member
Joined
Sep 15, 2012
Messages
658
Reaction score
309
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Sov gt, Ctx
Any good methods for getting the sea-glue-goby-guk off of coins? I usually use a quick vinegar bath on upland coins but it doesn't work at all on goby-guk.
 
Upvote 0
I tumble most of mine and then find a local Coinstar Machine. :laughing7:
 
I do use a tumbler for the final but am thinking of a quick wash initially , but yeah I'll feed the Coinstar machine in the end!
 
donkarlos said:
Any good methods for getting the sea-glue-goby-guk off of coins? I usually use a quick vinegar bath on upland coins but it doesn't work at all on goby-guk.

I use an ultrasonic cleaner, with dawn dish soap. I let most stuff run for 8 hours, then check for pre-65s, then I separate the pennies from the rest and tumble in two batches when I have enough. The off to a coin star.

If you soak for several days in dish soap before you tumble, even if you don't have a ultrasonic cleaner, it really helps to break down the crusty coins when they get in the tumbler.
 
Using the least destructive and slower methods are best for any object of value, but for new pennies I just bash the rubble off with a hammer and finish with a brass wire brush.
 
I have used lime away with good results soak for a few minutes use brush and gloves . be sure to rinse well after
Burl
 
I agree with Bigscoop and some places you get to keep all of the money if you put it on a gift card. They charge 9 cents on the dollar where I live, good luck and HH.
 
Thanks Lep. Hey, don't you wish they had a Ringstar for all your rings? HH
 
At my bank they have a coinstar type machine and if you have an account with them you get to keep every penny!! No charges apply!
Try asking you bank they may have the same deal but the coin machine is at a different location! Thats how I found out!! GL!

SnT

Oh yea I'll tumble for an hour or 2, with Dawn and aquarim rocks (color brown)!
 
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom