What's new

Cleaning stuff you find

germansal

Jr. Member
Joined
Sep 3, 2013
Messages
55
Reaction score
178
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Whites Liberty II
Bounty Hunter Quickdraw II
Mine lab Safari
XP Orx
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Guys
Been detecting here in Germany for a couple of years and found some nice stuff. My question is how do you clean the stuff you find without damaging it.
 

Attachments

  • photo 1.webp
    photo 1.webp
    162.4 KB · Views: 142
  • photo 2.webp
    photo 2.webp
    497.2 KB · Views: 146
Those are some cool finds. The coin forum on this site will be able to help on the coins and probably much of the metal stuff, they are a very wise group.
 
It would all depend on what you are cleaning, and what needed to be removed. I see your in Germany, I expect to see some Roman finds from you soon, if you already haven't...Welcome to TreasureNet.:thumbsup:

SS
 
Most copper coins can be cleaned by putting them in a vibrating 'tumbler'with Laundry detergent, not dish soap. About an hour of vibrating will remove most corrosion and dirt.
The slight pitting effect is where the corrosion was.
Brass coins and objects are vibrated in Brasso.
Silver coins and objects are vibrated in Tarnex.

In some hard cases I wipe with muraitic acid for 5 seconds and then immediately submerge in water. NOTE: protect eyes and hands.

Always test these methods on the least desirable item first! Frank...
hand print-2_edited-5.webp
 
I would not recommend any of the above, for ancient coins, bronze or silver.

SS
 
Electrolysis is fairly easy and works wonders on rusted iron relics.
 
reply

As silver searcher says: It depends on what type metal you are cleaning. There's different method depending on the type of metal. Ie.: iron, vs copper, vs silver, vs lead, vs nickel, and so forth.

I see a bunch of copper coins in your pix. For copper/brass, try ammonia. But practice on some low value stuff and first (common date cruddy stuff), because ammonia can be over-kill if left in too long, etc...
 
Thank you all for your advise. I tried Electrolysis and on large items like bayonets and rifles and that works great but on little item it eats the metal away. What about a ultrasonic Cleaner or is a vibrating tumbler a better way to go .
 
Thank you all for your advise. I tried Electrolysis and on large items like bayonets and rifles and that works great but on little item it eats the metal away. What about a ultrasonic Cleaner or is a vibrating tumbler a better way to go .

They both work, but I have found the vibrating tumbler faster. I put the coins in a small tube with the cleaning liquid. I then imbed the tube in a tumbler half filled with ocean sand. Note: ocean sand is dull, or rounded. It is just used to hold the tube in place. Hay, experience is the best teacher, so start with the 'not so valuable' items. Good luck, Frank...
111-1 profile.webp
 
Hi There

That looks like a very interesting collection- any chance of some close up shots of some or all of the items- especially the medals and insignia -the research is the fun part!
hh
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom