What's new

Cleaning those silver finds---help

baylorhall

Hero Member
Joined
Nov 17, 2008
Messages
899
Reaction score
154
Golden Thread
0
Location
North Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found plenty of silver rings buried in the sand/mud at the lake and they usually come out solid black. I have tried silver polish, but many times it won't get rid of all the black. Is there something else I can do to get them back to shiny silver? Thanks so much!
 
Upvote 0
Hi, I use a Lyman vibrating tumbler made for reloading bullets and crushed walnut shell media that I got for cheap on ebay. It works well but takes a few days. Hope this helps, Niffler
 
Steps to clean:

1. Fill pot with water. Size of pot depends on your own needs, does not much matter.
2. Put 2 to 3 tablespoons of salt into water and bring water to boil.
3. Once boiling, put a square of aluminum paper/foil into water. (remove from burner)
4. Put a teaspoon of salt onto the foil.
5. Drop your item to clean on the foil.
6. Put 1 to 2 tablespoons of baking soda (Arm and Hammer works fine) into pot.
7. Chemical reaction will cause immediate white foam (its working to clean)
8. Give it 30 seconds to a minute.
9. Repeat as necc. if needed.

It cleans em right up, real quick.

The tarnish leaves the item to be cleaned, transferring it to the foil.
 
Thanks so much! I will go try it now. :)
 
I didn't have much luck with the baking soda and salt. Then I read that it is supposed to be Arm and Hammer washing soda and salt. That worked like a charm!! Thanks
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom