Clearing An Overgrown Lot?

Joe1944

Jul 3, 2013
Rockland County, NY
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Discovery 2200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So basically, I live in a late 1920's household. I found some pretty nice stuff here, tons of Wheats, 44 Merc, 41/43 quarters, 08 Indian Head, but my REAL find, the one that sent me over the top, was my 1848 Large Cent.

In my front yard. :blackbeard: I felt like a camel on Wednesday. :laughing7:

To continue, I found that right up on the edge of my modern fence, that divided my property from a house that I believe was built in the late 1800's. This house was inhabited by a crazy cat lady, (no joke), who squatted there for years and was just an all-around mean, nasty person. She was evicted several years ago and the house, demolished to rubble.

Cutting to the chase, over those past few years, the place has developed into a JUNGLE. Vines, poison ivy, saplings, thorn bushes, 3-4 ft. high weeds, huge trees and just about everything else you could think of. All over the lot. It is truly impossible to get back there. Until now...

I've decided that I WILL get back there and I WILL find some epic stuff. It is now a question of how. I've already cleared a small area, and now will expand little by little whenever I can.

Luckily, Fall is on the horizon, and that might be my ally. That, an array of hand tools.

Being a 14 and 11/12 year old kid, I'm not going to rent some expensive Crêpe to get the job done, if I've gotta' go back there with a machete and emerge three days later bloodied wearing a beaver pelt with a coonskin cap and my clothes ripped to shreds, then C'est la vie.

Any tips/suggestions would be well appreciated as to how to clear this stuff up. I'll try to get better pictures as I clear the lot. And pics of that LC. 8-) Wish me luck! :sign10:

(Sorry I rambled.) :wink:

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
Do you own the Cat Lady's property? If you don't you should ask permission just to get on the land. The owners might take exception to you clearing off their land, especially if you're trespassing. Contact the owners and they might PAY you clean it off.
In my town when a lot gets to looking like that and the City receives a complaint, a contractor cleans/mows the property and the cost is added to the taxes. Ask if there is some type of similar law where you live. Why not let someone else clean it for you?
Wait till after frost,get a pump sprayer filled with gasoline and spray all the dead stuff & sit it on fire. Wait for a day the wind is blowing from away from your house and then.........naw, better not do that.
Same thing as if someone came into your yard and started cutting down your rose bushes. You wouldn't like it. Some people are touchy about what they own even if run down/over grown. Good luck.

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chainsaw..........BUT only if you know how to safely operate one.......they are extremely dangerous if you are not familar with them, and even then, dangerous.
But for clearing stuff, they can't be beat......
The quesiton of permission, menitoned above, is required also.

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like this might not available to you, but I use a BIG Stihl straight shaft trimmer with a blade. It is Amazing how this thing cuts. It will literally go thru a sapling about around as a golf ball the second it hits it. A sapling as big as your wrist by just smacking several times. You can't really just hold it and let it saw as it will kick off a big sapling, but after just a few minutes in the heavy stuff you will get the hang of it. If by chance you know someone who has one they will do the trick. If you have a buddy that can pull the cut stuff and leave you running the machine you can fly. I cleared around 1/4 acre of what had been a the front yard of an old home to hunt in just a few hours by myself. You couldn't anything but the roof of the house from about 30 yards back when I started. And NO it wasn't worth the effort on this particular one. Wheats, an indian head, and a small silver child's ring were about it as far as anything to speak of.

OP
OP
Joe1944

Joe1944

Jul 3, 2013
Rockland County, NY
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Discovery 2200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like this might not available to you, but I use a BIG Stihl straight shaft trimmer with a blade. It is Amazing how this thing cuts.

I actually do have a straight trimmer available to me! :icon_thumleft:

Thanks everyone. I will try to seek out permission, and if I get an O.K., I'll proceed. I'm not building anything, and there are no posted signs, so I think I should be able to gain "legal" access.
I do have access to trimmers, a chainsaw, weed wacker, etc., and the opportunity to find some good stuff so close by is to good to pass up. I'm going for it!

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
believe it or not
goats will chew threw it in no time give goats back or sacrifice for dinner
some one on here cleaned a lot looked and tasted fantastic from the picture
he posten

liftloop

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread