Clearing the ground. How?

Detectorist143

Jul 10, 2017
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics patriot, Tesoro silver Umax and a BH 101 Hey Who was laughing? With 8" & 10" coils..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK before I even ask. Yes I need a better machine.
So now the question. With a BH 101 8 and 10 inch coils. How would I go about
Clearing and old 1800's fair grounds and a new 1900's ground. Both are still used today.
Semi groomed grass. I like to dig it all but I can not dig that many holes. With a two tone machine
Only good or bad. Only way I can think of is to start full discrimination dig what I find. Then turn it down make another pass. Just keep going that way. Any suggestion? Tips Always welcome.
Thx

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Use the smallest coil you can get and snipe the ground between the trash. Repeat from a 90° different approach path.

Then either move to another spot or start removing the trash. if you try and mask or notch it out you'll just null any good target under the trash metals.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
On a big field that you know is trashy, start with the big coil at full discrimination. Unless it is solid and repeatable move on. Do 25' wide by 40' Long grids. Once you finish a couple of the grids, put on a smaller coil, drop your Discrim down to where pulltabs are crackling or breaking up, rinse and repeat :skullflag:

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would Cherry Pick the Silver only.
Marvin

OP
OP
D

Detectorist143

Jul 10, 2017
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics patriot, Tesoro silver Umax and a BH 101 Hey Who was laughing? With 8" & 10" coils..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys, sounds like I was at least thinking right. Taking multiple trips around with diffent coils. I got permission to look for large old artifacts on the land to.
So they do not mind bigger holes. But I do not want the place to look like a mine field. So I think I'm going to start with the smaller coil first. Find/clear what I can. Multi passes. Then move up to the next coil. Just picked up a 4" BH coil.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be sure to go SLOW AND LOW. Swinging too fast with a machine that has a slower response capability will cause you to walk right past a good target.
Slow and Low.

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I go slow. That's because I AM slow. However, that works for me. I dig all the mid tone signals, and that doesn't cherry pick but picks up Civil War buttons, gold and all that type of nasty stuff! Heck with the silver. Just go slow and if a lot of iron, definitely go with a smaller coil.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I go slow. That's because I AM slow. However, that works for me. I dig all the mid tone signals, and that doesn't cherry pick but picks up Civil War buttons, gold and all that type of nasty stuff! Heck with the silver. Just go slow and if a lot of iron, definitely go with a smaller coil.

Smokey what machine do you use? The reason why I’m asking is I’m going tomorrow where I found some three ringers but I really want to find me a button. I have a F75 Ltd, ATP and the Max. I’m using the Max because in my opinion it’s been a mid tone killer for me I’ve gotten more V nickels than I’ve gotten all year and a big 14 karat gold ring at a solid 55. I’ve actually never found a button before and I was wondering about the tones Because I’ve never actually heard one or maybe I have and passed it up. Are they real repeatable or do they crackle at times. What is your button range? What I’m really trying to say is I need help. :laughing/7

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
In dense iron sites, a 250 lb lift magnet (available here:https://www.harborfreight.com/retrieving-magnet-250-lb-pull-36905.html with cord on the included eye bolt bounced over disturbed ground, not only grabs nails and small bits, but also tiny flakes of rusted iron that will reduce your detection depth to 0.0000 inches.
I never knew how much of these flakes can be present, I have amazing pix of magnet completely covered with flakes, not on this device though.
This technique has reopened several important sites which I thought I had cleared of targets.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Semi groomed grass. I like to dig it all but I can not dig that many holes.
Thx

I got permission to look for large old artifacts on the land to.
So they do not mind bigger holes. But I do not want the place to look like a mine field.
You should be able to dig hundreds of plugs with little or no evidence of where digging was done.
A person should be able to dig a deep hole with only a fist size plug. The secret of digging is to leave the site as it was found.

Last edited:

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In dense iron sites, a 250 lb lift magnet (available here:https://www.harborfreight.com/retrieving-magnet-250-lb-pull-36905.html with cord on the included eye bolt bounced over disturbed ground, not only grabs nails and small bits, but also tiny flakes of rusted iron that will reduce your detection depth to 0.0000 inches.
I never knew how much of these flakes can be present, I have amazing pix of magnet completely covered with flakes, not on this device though.
This technique has reopened several important sites which I thought I had cleared of targets.

What a great idea..anything for pull tabs!! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread