What's new

Clovis base?

OntarioArch

Sr. Member
Joined
Nov 26, 2017
Messages
427
Reaction score
1,172
Golden Thread
0
Location
Cayuga County NY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yard Sale find: sure looks like a Clovis base to me...now on this one I think can see a 'ground edge' - that base edge looks rounded off to me, ground down as to be not quite sharp.
paleo base 1.webp
paleo base 2.webp
paleo base 3.webp
 
Upvote 0
Yup, looks Clovis to me but it could be one of a couple of other variants that are similar in age.

I agree with Joshua' assessment.

Both the base and basal edges are ground on that base and it appears that the missing ear was damaged long after the point was made/lost.
 
One ear looks good. Cool looking material. I like it as a Clovis or variant. Seems to have a ground base. Are the sides of the base ground? Was there any info on provenance? Found in a river, field, dug?
 
One ear looks good. Cool looking material. I like it as a Clovis or variant. Seems to have a ground base. Are the sides of the base ground? Was there any info on provenance? Found in a river, field, dug?

Yard Sale find: provenance a complete blank. As 11KBP observed, the basal edges are ground.

But pretty cool, huh? The seller had 100 pieces of junk, a 5 or 6 good pieces. I purchased 6 for less than I spend on one trip down the cat isle at the grocery store. Literally.
 
Interesting impact fracture remnant visible in your middle picture.

Material looks like stuff from out west; form closer to Folsom than to Clovis but not exactly either.

YMMV. FWIW.
 
Interesting impact fracture remnant visible in your middle picture.

Material looks like stuff from out west; form closer to Folsom than to Clovis but not exactly either.

YMMV. FWIW.

That is a cool fracture.

FWIW, My first guess on material was heavily patinated Flintridge. The first picture has a vein of color that looks like one of the high grade sources paleo folk in Ohio managed to exploit. But it very well could be something else.
 
Your comments make me glad I went to this sale! Here is a pic of the 'break' - the patina looks to me to match the rest of the piece, so I'm thinking it is an ancient break. Cool
clovis break 2.webp
 
Last edited:
It sure looks like it to me.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom