CNN TODAY: 6 American Treasure Hunters Detained in Honduras

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Seems to me that as gun runners you would be dealing in better stuff and larger quantities. It would be hard to pay the fuel bill on that boat with a half dozen household pieces.
All joking aside...they have stepped on someone's toes and whoever that might be has some stroke with the local government. Best thing is to pay the money, look at your shoes and apologize as you leave when they let you.
Good luck to them all.

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think this will put the question of whether foreigners can legally bring firearms into Honduras to rest.

I don't know if the correct procedures were followed by Mayne, but clearly there is a law and a process for bringing firearms into Honduras for PROTECTION and doing it LEGALLY. Embajada de Honduras en Washington D.C.

honduras.png From the Honduran Embassy in Washington, D.C.

Here is a copy and paste:

La Secretaría de Seguridad solicita que toda persona natural o jurídica nacional o extranjera que desee ingresar a Honduras portando armas de fuego con propósito de seguridad personal o para práctica deportiva o de caza, deberá dirigir su solicitud a la siguiente autoridad:

1. Solicitud formal dirigida al:

Oscar Alvarez
Secretario de Estado en el Despacho de Seguridad PĂşblica
Cuartel General de Casamata
Tegucigalpa, M.D.C., Honduras, C.A.
Teléfono No.(504) 220-5547
Fax No.(504) 220-4352

2. Documento fehaciente debidamente autenticado (Apostille), que acredite la adquisición legal de las armas, en donde conste la marca, modelo, tipo, calibre y demás características de las mismas.

3. Documento expedido por autoridad legĂ­timamente constituida que acredite al interesado estar autorizado para la posesiĂłn y portaciĂłn de las mismas.

4. Indicar, en la solicitud formal a presentar, el propósito por el cual el interesado solicita el ingreso de o las armas, detallando las generales de Ley de las personas que las portarán durante la permanencia en el territorio nacional.

5. Descripción del medio de transporte por el cual ingresará el arma con copia del documento de embarque que lo acredita, con todo su detalle (por ejemplo detalle de la carga o conocimiento de embarque).

6. Indicar, en la solicitud formal a presentar, la aduana y fecha de ingreso de las armas a Honduras.

7. Pago de impuestos en la aduana terrestre.

And in English:

The Ministry of Security requested that any natural or legal person or foreign national wishing to enter Honduras carrying firearms for purposes of personal safety or sports or hunting practice, should address its request to the following authority :

1. Formal Request to :

Oscar Alvarez
Secretary of State for Public Security
Mate Headquarters
Tegucigalpa, M.D.C. , Honduras , C. A.
Telephone No. (504) 220-5547
Fax No. (504) 220-4352

2 . Reliable document duly certified ( Apostille ) , attesting to the legal acquisition of weapons, stating the make, model , type, caliber and other characteristics thereof .

3 . Document issued by legally constituted authority attesting to the person concerned be authorized for possession and possession thereof.

4 . Pointing to submit the formal application, the purpose for which the applicant requests the entry of arms or detailing the general law of the people who will wear during their stay in the country.

5. Description of the conveyance by which enter the gun copy of shipping document that accredits him with all their detail (eg details of the charge or bill of lading ) .

6. Pointing to submit the formal application, the customs and date of entry of weapons to Honduras .

7. Paying Taxes in Earth customs.

Last edited:

Denarius

May 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
they also informed Honduras authorities three months prior to the trip that they’d have the weapons on board
Not that it's bad or wrong on the part of Capt. Mayne but the authorities had three months to plan their "arrest". On the other hand the authorities could have planted the guns, or drugs, or anything, anyways even if they didn't have them on board. Probably had some ready to plant just in case when they went on board. I have a feeling that someone else wants those mahogany logs, or at least a cut of the action. That's how it works in that kind of place. You don't mess with the people in charge (govt, narcos, whatever) and you give them their cut or they nail you. It's not fair and it's not right but that's how it works. Usually the initial bribe is the best deal you will get. As more people get involved the price goes up.
I wish them luck. They will need it.
PS I imagine from reading this
Profits from its sale was to be shared with locals for infrastructure and social programs.
that the people they were working for are not in the power/payola loop.

Last edited:

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Probably had some ready to plant just in case when they went on board. I have a feeling that someone else wants those mahogany logs, or at least a cut of the action. That's how it works in that kind of place. You don't mess with the people in charge (govt, narcos, whatever) and you give them their cut or they nail you. It's not fair and it's not right but that's how it works.

Some people are just hard-wired incapable of understanding this.
They're so rooted in idealogical 'fairness' that they don't realize in some places, 'fairness' doesn't exist and if you want to venture to those places on your own free will and play the game, you had for damn sure better understand the rulebook because it looks nothing like what you're used to in the US or the UK.

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Perhaps we will do another five for one trade of imprisoned Hondurans for these Americans!

hobbit

Oct 1, 2010
Capt. Mayne and his crew are in Honduras for a long term project. If they had paid the first $17,000 bribe, should they have paid the second ? The third ? The fourth ?
They weren't just passing through the area. Eventually they were going to have to stand up to the extortion, or they might as well have never gone to Honduras in the first place.
At least now they will have a good deal of notoriety as not being easy marks. Since they have been in custody for so long, it will be extremely difficult for the local "authorities" to get away with framing them. It won't be believable, not even in Honduras. And they will have their guns.
You can bet the US embassy is deeply involved in this already.
The captain and crew have not been released yet because Honduras needs to save face. They can't let it look like they have succumbed to pressure from the US.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry. I removed my posts and replies, I did not realize I was posting in thread not in politics forum.

Old man if you want to repost your posts in politics forum it is okay....

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Capt. Mayne and his crew are in Honduras for a long term project. If they had paid the first $17,000 bribe, should they have paid the second ? The third ? The fourth ?
They weren't just passing through the area. Eventually they were going to have to stand up to the extortion, or they might as well have never gone to Honduras in the first place.
At least now they will have a good deal of notoriety as not being easy marks. Since they have been in custody for so long, it will be extremely difficult for the local "authorities" to get away with framing them. It won't be believable, not even in Honduras. And they will have their guns.
You can bet the US embassy is deeply involved in this already.
The captain and crew have not been released yet because Honduras needs to save face. They can't let it look like they have succumbed to pressure from the US.

No. You pay the first bribe and hope they let you leave but your logic is way off kilter.
They didn't to go Honduras to "stand up to extortion". They went to Honduras to hunt treasure. They encountered extortion, 'stood up to it' and are now sitting in a Honduran prison because discretion was overwhelmed by ego (or, maybe they really were that arrogant and thought they could stomp their feet, cite their own interpretation of Honduran law, claim American and hope that would be enough to fix everything)

As far as the US Embassy being involved in this, they tend to take a pretty hands-off approach to international firearm trafficking cases. The number of people who've wound up in some Mexican hellhole because they crossed from Texas with a couple .22 rounds rolling around in the back of their truck is an old story. You want to travel internationally with guns, know what you're doing to the letter and make sure you're compliant to the letter. You start getting into traveling internationally with 'self defense weaponry' ala AK variants, etc, you're in a dangerous world there.

I wish these guys the best but this is what it looks like when you roll the dice and lose.

Last edited:

Denarius

May 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The number of people who've wound up in some Mexican hellhole because they crossed from Texas with a couple .22 rounds rolling around in the back of their truck is an old story.

The key is to have some bribe money immediately available. You pay off the cop (or whatever) real quick with some cash and walk away (and then run) real fast before the bribe goes up a rung in the ladder. If you are on a long term project like Capt. Mayne you just pay it like a tax. It sucks but it's better than jail. Cause jail in those places really sucks. Thats just how it works over there.

Last edited:

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am in La Cebia, Honduras right now, and have been in Honduras for almost four weeks now. My first trip here was just two years ago and I was here for a very short 90 days. I Loved it here so much that I have moved down here for a long term stay. Why, mostly for the outstanding dive opportunities. Myself, like many other North American expats have had no problems with the local officials, and I have never had to pay any bribes to get off the hook from anything, of course, I also do my best to operate within the laws and customs of this beautiful country.

For the last three years I have lived next door in Guatemala, and its not too fare down the list from Honduras as for it's level of crime, corruption and murder. Yet I have never had any problems with the local officials there either. Just the opposite from many post I have read here by some, the national Police along with elements of the Military that I have encountered have always been courteous and helpful to this old gringo.

Yes! this country has many serious problems that the Government at many levels is working to resolve, and corruption within the government itself is a very big problem in this society. As for us gringos, well I can'st speak for all of us who decide to come here and stay (Voluntarily), and maybe it's just that I have been traveling all over the world since I joined the USAF back in 76, and I have a much different view of other countries and people as a result of those life experiences.

The only difference between corruption in the USA vs Honduras is that it's more obvious down here because of the extreme poverty, and institutionalized behind the scenes in Washington because of extreme greed.

In any case, I am following the plight of the Aqua Quest crew from down here, and frankly its not getting much press down here at all. If I hear anything on their hearing before a Judge later this week I will pop back in and share whatever I hear.

Tommy

Last edited:

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The only difference between corruption in the USA vs Honduras is that it's more obvious down here because of the extreme poverty, and institutionalized behind the scenes in Washington because of extreme greed.

Nailed it.

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The key is to have some bribe money immediately available. You pay off the cop (or whatever) real quick with some cash and walk away (and then run) real fast before the bribe goes up a rung in the ladder. If you are on a long term project like Capt. Mayne you just pay it like a tax. It sucks but it's better than jail. Cause jail in those places really sucks. Thats just how it works over there.

"Senior, please understand that I had no intention to violate any laws here. This is just a misunderstanding. In my country its possible to pay the citation with the issuing officer. Would it be possible for me to pay the fine here? My plane leaves tomorrow and I don't want to risk missing it because of having to go to court over an innocent misunderstanding..."

Never, ever be anywhere in the 3rd World without $500 cash on your person at all times.

xrunndonex

Dec 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Senior, please understand that I had no intention to violate any laws here. This is just a misunderstanding. In my country its possible to pay the citation with the issuing officer. Would it be possible for me to pay the fine here? My plane leaves tomorrow and I don't want to risk missing it because of having to go to court over an innocent misunderstanding..."

Never, ever be anywhere in the 3rd World without $500 cash on your person at all times.

Lol I just got reminded about a scene in a movie a Mexican cop was like 10,000 pesos or 1k I forgot or you give me sucky sucky pointing to his "son". He is like 10,000 dollars! Son go behind that bush with him. After awhile he was like wait that's only 100 dollars! Lol

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
Lol I just got reminded about a scene in a movie a Mexican cop was like 10,000 pesos or 1k I forgot or you give me sucky sucky pointing to his "son". He is like 10,000 dollars! Son go behind that bush with him. After awhile he was like wait that's only 100 dollars! Lol

13.5 pesos to a dollar….

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is the law, and then there is how individuals believe the laws are…….this is true in the USSA as well as foreign countries………
Bribes are a way of life in the USSA as well as foreign countries…….they are just called different names in the USSA, brides just the same…..
It is difficult to understand what went wrong, and certain is the gov of the USSA is not helpful in cases like this……..

hobbit

Oct 1, 2010
13.5 pesos to a dollar….

In reality, it is 13,500 pesos to the dollar.

Mexican currency became so close to worthless back in 1993 that they lopped three zeros off bills and coins and created the "Nuevo Peso". 1000 "old" pesos became 1 "Nuevo Peso".

hobbit

Oct 1, 2010
There is zero respect exactly because you guys don't see an issue with taking weapons into another country...

:BangHead:

It is legal to take weapons into Honduras. I don't know if the correct procedures were followed in this case and neither do you, but firearms can be imported into Honduras legally for protection and for sporting/hunting purposes. :hello:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread