Attachments

• img014.jpg
    img014.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 553
  • img013.jpg
    img013.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 551
:hello:

Mate the Ukers know that this is a Rare and stunning find :notworthy:...but you need to tell a bit more about the coin for our over seas cousins :) weldone on a fabulous coin :notworthy:

I vote banner, but because you are quite new, it might not make it. Still a superb coin, one I would love to find :headbang:

SS

Silver Searcher said:

Mate the Ukers know that this is a Rare and stunning find :notworthy:...but you need to tell a bit more about the coin for our over seas cousins :) weldone on a fabulous coin :notworthy:

I vote banner, but because you are quite new, it might not make it. Still a superb coin, one I would love to find :headbang:

SS

I think it's pretty.

Actually, Silver Searcher is correct. The average American viewing this site has learned more about your history and coinage then probably anywhere else. So do tell.
Carl

CurbdiggerCarl57 said:
Silver Searcher said:

SS

I think it's pretty.

Actually, Silver Searcher is correct. The average American viewing this site has learned more about your history and coinage then probably anywhere else. So do tell.
Carl
Those silver pieces are beautiful! Lets hear more about them. DD

CurbdiggerCarl57 said:
Silver Searcher said:

SS

I think it's pretty.

Carl

here is your history for today
king Cnut pronounced canute reigned 1016 to 1035 son of King Swein Forkbeard of Denmark he was pronounced king bythe Danish fleet then he was forced to leave England he returned and raided wessex and was made undisputed king of all England he was the man that said he could rule the sea and the tides the coins are silver and very rare

:coffee2:

Great info Ed....I'll add my bit now,...... to different types posted, first looks like Seaby #1159 Short Cross type, ca 1029-1036. + CNVT + REC X, diademed, draped bust left, scepter before / + AELFPINE ON ECX, short cross voided; in center, pellet in circle. North 790.

Second coin looks like Seaby 1157v1 Quatrefoil type. Crowned & draped bust left, partly within quatrefoil (virtually a circle, but still with pellet at each apex), the lower part extending into the legend; + CNVT REX ANGLORV around. Reverse: Long voided cross over quatrefoil, pellet at apex of each cusp, arms terminate in trefoils; +PV(?) GIZ TOÃ~P EOD spaced around arms.

SS

This is very nice ! And I have never seen or heard of one like this . Thanks for the history lesson as we do not get data on finds like this over here in the U.S .
I vote banner also . And who ever is finding these is one luck person ! And send them back out as they
look to be on a finding streak .

How funny, today I just got my first Cnvt :laughing9:

I know how impossible they are :hello2:

many thanks SS the going on your info the first one is moneyor Aelfwine (the man that made it ) minted in Exeter
and the second one is Thetford mint but i am having difficulty tracking down the moneyor but it could be Brunstan its amazing how you can track down the maker and where they were made 1000 years ago

Beautiful and thanks for the history! That's one of the things I love about TNET, we learn so much!

loud ed said:
many thanks SS the going on your info the first one is moneyor Aelfwine (the man that made it ) minted in Exeter
and the second one is Thetford mint but i am having difficulty tracking down the moneyor but it could be Brunstan its amazing how you can track down the maker and where they were made 1000 years ago

v
The moneyer for the second could be Wulfgit, that's if it is indeed 1157v1, v2 might be Eadwine. :thumbsup:

SS

Thanks SS all my knowledge on coins is self taught from books and off the internet
the books im using for these are
J J North volume 1
Grueber and Keary anglo saxon volume 2
Spink coins of England
and the Mack collection

Attachments

• 036.JPG
    036.JPG
    38.5 KB · Views: 359
loud ed said:
Thanks SS all my knowledge on coins is self taught from books and off the internet
the books im using for these are
J J North volume 1
Grueber and Keary anglo saxon volume 2
Spink coins of England
and the Mack collection
Same as everybody else Mate, if you record them both on the UKFD data base, you will get all the imfo on them you need :icon_thumleft:

SS

Excellent find! I was actually looking at hammered English coinage on eBay today, its amazing that you guys can find all these ancient coins. I'd be thrilled if I found a seated which is 700 or so years newer than your penny. I can't imagine what it would be like to dig coins like that.

I really like the coin, and the history behind it is amazing, but I was wondering about the coins size. Are they tiny, or modern sized. Congratulations, Niffler

A beautiful coin with an amazing history! :o

Cheers,
Dave

Great finds mate :icon_thumleft:, I'd love to find something that good :laughing7:, it also helps having the likes of JJ North, UKDFD and of course SS and Cru to help id it :thumbsup:

hammered

absolutely unreal congrats
thanks for the info on it would have never guessed it was that old wow

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back