What's new

Coat of arms?

jtw1313

Silver Member
Joined
Feb 5, 2013
Messages
3,728
Reaction score
2,099
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can anyone tell if this is a coat of arms or something else? Or the age of this box
 
Faux heraldry decorator item. Stuff like this was popular in the late 60's into the 70's. My mother had a house full of it... All sorts of swords and shields and knightly things. (INSERT EYES ROLLING HERE.)
 
Upvote 0
The heraldic charges on the shield are an antler and a hunting horn, the armorial crested with a hunting hound.

I don't know of any family with that coat of arms but the style of the 4-tined antler is similar to that used by the Duchy of Württemberg in Germany. I think this is just an invented coat of arms with borrowed elements to create something pretentious with loose association to the gentlemanly 'sport' of stag-hunting.

My guess would be earlier part of the 1900s and likely not from Germany.

You haven't given us dimensions, but I'm thinking 'cigar box'.
 
Upvote 0
A couple more pics

I do think a bit older than the 60s
Noticed this seem on side and it seems to be carved and overlaid.
Hinges seem different as well rather than the usual screwed on ones
 
Upvote 0
It does look more like a humidor, rather than just a cigar box, to me! Much to fancy for just a box! I just had to recharge my humidor yesterday... taking a little time to get it up to the proper humidity it seems! Thanks for posting.
 
Upvote 0
I do think a bit older than the 60s
Noticed this seem on side and it seems to be carved and overlaid.
Hinges seem different as well rather than the usual screwed on ones

I've got a jewelry/puzzle box I brought back from Turkey after Operation Desert Storm. While new made in the 90/91 period, the craftsmanship and style looks to be older. Plus I've got a clock that my dad brought back for my mom, from either Korea or the Phillipines in the late 70s, that has the same old school, hand made touch to it.

That said it could have been made overseas somewhere.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom