Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Doing research on this bottle and this is what i have.
Coca Cola bottle made by Owens Corning.
By this chart i would say it was made in 1936 and the stamp on the bottom of the bottle.
An 8 on the left is the plant location Glassboro,New Jersey and the 6 would be the date 1936 .
I don't know what the T at the top is or the X at the bottom.
There is a number at the side bottom C5809 is this a slug plate number ?
Coca Cola Bottling Co.Inc
Winona ,Minn.
Contents 7 1/2 ozs

Can i call this a rare straight side slug plate Coca Cola bottle for selling if i chose ? coca cola 005.JPG coca cola 007.JPG coca cola 011.JPG coca cola 012.JPG coca cola 013.JPG coca cola 015.JPG coca cola 016.JPG coca cola 017.JPG Owens-Illinois-Manufacturing-Plant-Codes  coca cola (1).jpg

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
love those coke bottles

islamoradamark

Silver Member
Aug 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The coke bottles with the skirt on them came out in 1915 i think. That's got to be older than 1936 hang loose. Someone here with some knowledge will chime in

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure when it was made but it did not contain Coca Cola and therefor it is not a “straight side Coca Cola.” This bottle had a label on it and was bottled and owned by Coca Cola but contained some other soda. The straight cokes had the name Coca Cola in script writing . Hope that makes sense to you

jmartins413

Jan 1, 2018
Chicopee MA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with the date being around 1936. Like Bass said above, this is a coca cola product bottle. It probably contained something like ginger ale or a flavored soda. It was owned by coke but didnt contain coke. This is known as a coca cola product bottle, not a straight sided coke. The last real "straight sided" coca cola bottles were made around 1915. These original straight sided cokes usually had script writing and a city name at the bottom, were almost always aqua or amber colored and hand blown.
To find a possible value I would ask around with other local collectors and do research in books and libraries.

Last edited:

epackage

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2010
Hewitt N.J.
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle
Primary Interest:
Other
The coke bottles with the skirt on them came out in 1915 i think. That's got to be older than 1936 hang loose. Someone here with some knowledge will chime in
It is indeed a 1936 bottle, if there was a dot after the 6 it would be a 1946 bottle...

Goldenplug

Jul 30, 2014
Upstate, ny
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250 8.5 x 11 dd coil, teknetics t2, sniper coil, dd coild, lesche digger, gator tool, garrett propointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There also isn’t a slugplate on this bottle just to pile on the criticism.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread