Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Something to do with the Red Sox, perhaps?

Upvote 0

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Regarding your wings:
"This wings pin has a "safety-pin" type back, common for that era (30's & 40's). It says "Jimmie" on one wing and "Allen" on the other. The crest between the wings says "Flying Cadet" Under the wings there is a bar inscribed "Colonial".

The Air Adventures of Jimmie Allen was a popular kids' radio show from 1933-43. Two World War I flying aces, Bob Burtt and Bill Moore, wrote the show and Skelly Oil sponsored it. Ritchfield Oil on the West Coast was also a sponsor.

Sixteen-year-old Jimmie, a messenger at the Kansas City Airport, went on adventures with veteran pilot Speed Robertson and mechanic Flash Lewis, finding treasure, chasing crooks, and later, capturing spies. The show inspired a Jimmie Allen Flying Club, and a host of premiums--puzzles, cards, wings, emblems, patches, flight charts, model airplane kits, and personalized letters from Jimmie.

In 1936, a movie (The Sky Parade) featuring Jimmie's adventures was released. The show went into re-runs in 1937, and finally disappeared in 1943. A re-vamped version ran from 1946-47 and continued in re-runs into the 50's.

I could find no reference to Colonial (altho there was and is a Colonial Oil Company) being involved with this show, however the pin is definitely old.

Because the show was never on a network, it was not as well known as later flying shows (Sky King, etc.), so memorabilia is not always so easy to find."

Asking price is $75.00 for a similar item being sold here:

Source: http://www.tias.com/12560/PictPage/3923167113.html
Don....

Upvote 0

RJGMC

Sep 6, 2008
KANSAS CITY METRO
Detector(s) used
SIMPLEX, EQUINOX AND TESORO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool finds!!!!!!!

Being from the midwest, there is also a Colonial bread company, I am pretty sure that they are still in business today. Maybe they would have some info on who they sponsored.

The Coke pin is nifty too!!!!!!!!

Bob

Upvote 0

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess folks like your WINGS more--but that's prolly your fault for not cropping the photo. :wink: ;D

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions