Codes

Bronze Member
Feb 28, 2007
United States
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just thought I'd jump on board and start my own log. I don't search a big volume like some of you on here but hopefully this log will show the small timers that you can still make some good finds and have fun along the way!

Here goes...

5/20/2013

$20.00 in pennies

I thought this was going to have a horrible yield because through 33 out of 40 rolls I hadn't found anything but Canadians. Luckily the last 7 rolls were the best.

4 Wheats - 1944, 1945, 1946, 1958
7 Canadians - 1974, 1975, 1979, 2x 1983, 1988, 1997

Also, I forgot to mention there was a dime in the first roll I opened.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Codes

Bronze Member
Feb 28, 2007
United States
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
5/20/2013

$100 box of nickels

I got a pretty good haul from this box. Lots of variety too!

1 - 1911 V nickel (pretty beat up but I'll take it!)
1 - dateless Buffalo
22 pre-1960's (1939-S I needed to fill a spot in my coin folder)
1 - 1977 1 Belgian Franc
1 - 2000 5 Somali Shilling
4 - Canadian nickels

photo.jpg

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very neat, me being a nickel searcher and a penny searcher primarily, I am looking forward to reading your log... Congrats on the V nickel and semi-key date, both are very hard to come by!

OP
OP
C

Codes

Bronze Member
Feb 28, 2007
United States
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very neat, me being a nickel searcher and a penny searcher primarily, I am looking forward to reading your log... Congrats on the V nickel and semi-key date, both are very hard to come by!

Thanks Buff! When the V nickel fell out of the roll it took me a second to figure out exactly what I was looking at! Even though she's a little beat up she's still a beauty. It's amazing that something 102 years old is still in circulation.

I see you haven't updated your log recently. As a fellow penny/nickel searcher, I will also be looking forward to your finds as well if possible!

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually just finished off 4 penny boxes, i'll update it, I honestly forgot about the log :P
nickels will be solid 2013 for the next 3+ months, so I am resulting in quarters, pennies, and halves.. dimes and nickels are solid 2013.

Thanks Buff! When the V nickel fell out of the roll it took me a second to figure out exactly what I was looking at! Even though she's a little beat up she's still a beauty. It's amazing that something 102 years old is still in circulation.

I see you haven't updated your log recently. As a fellow penny/nickel searcher, I will also be looking forward to your finds as well if possible!

OP
OP
C

Codes

Bronze Member
Feb 28, 2007
United States
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
5/25/2013

$100 box of nickels
$25 box of pennies

I hit a milestone today. Found my 800th Wheat Penny from CRH!!

On an unfortunate note the nickel box I picked up was a near solid box of 2012-P; packed on 4-17-2013. :censored: I was pretty excited about getting another nickel box since I had some pretty good luck on the last one. Oh well. I consider myself pretty fortunate because this was the first time in my 6 years of CRHing that I got a solid box of the same date. I'm still going to check them anyway for errors!

Here's the result of the penny box:

10 Wheats - 1944-D, 1947-D, 1948-D, 1951, 2x 1953-D, 1957, 3x 1957-D
9 Canadians - oldest being a 1950
1 penny with the state of Alabama punched on it

photo.jpg
photo (2).jpg
photo (1).jpg

CladSmoke

Nov 18, 2012
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Mine eyes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice log Codes. Question, I see some of your wheats in the last photo are a little green. Do you have a way of cleaning that off? Just curious bcs I found a handful of wheats in similar condition and want to take the green off.

OP
OP
C

Codes

Bronze Member
Feb 28, 2007
United States
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of the green on the Wheats I find has a gummy consistency so I take an old t-shirt and rub it until it comes off. Seems to work for me.

Cougar729

Apr 8, 2013
Missouri
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've found a Nevada punched penny, I wonder if it would be possible to complete a 50 state set of these by just roll hunting. That would take some extensive searching but it sounds like they are out there

OP
OP
C

Codes

Bronze Member
Feb 28, 2007
United States
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've found a Nevada punched penny, I wonder if it would be possible to complete a 50 state set of these by just roll hunting. That would take some extensive searching but it sounds like they are out there

I'm sure it's possible. Anything's possible! This is the first one I've found in over $2,100 in pennies searched.

OP
OP
C

Codes

Bronze Member
Feb 28, 2007
United States
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
5/30/2013

$100 box of nickels
$5 in pennies

Skunked on the pennies, although about 50% of them were copper

Box of nickels:

Nothing special
1 - 1939
18 other pre-60's
3 Canadian's

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Codes

Bronze Member
Feb 28, 2007
United States
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
6/8/2013

$25.00 box of pennies

8 Wheats - 1946, 1948, 1949-D, 1950-D, 1953-D, 1954-S, 1956-D, 1958-D
8 Canadians

OP
OP
C

Codes

Bronze Member
Feb 28, 2007
United States
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I've decided to set some goals for myself to add some extra motivation to my hunts. Here they go....

Pennies - 1,000 Wheat's overall from CRH. 808 down, 196 to go
Nickels - 10 War nickels, 2,000 total pre-1960's from CRH. 1,862 down, 138 to go.
Dimes - Find a complete roll of Roosies from CRH. 31 down, 19 to go.
Quarters - I've never found a silver quarter from CRH. Ever. I don't care how many quarters I have to search, I'll find one.

I'll keep all of you posted!

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I've decided to set some goals for myself to add some extra motivation to my hunts. Here they go....

Pennies - 1,000 Wheat's overall from CRH. 808 down, 196 to go
Nickels - 10 War nickels, 2,000 total pre-1960's from CRH. 1,862 down, 138 to go.
Dimes - Find a complete roll of Roosies from CRH. 31 down, 19 to go.
Quarters - I've never found a silver quarter from CRH. Ever. I don't care how many quarters I have to search, I'll find one.

I'll keep all of you posted!

You should be able to reach these goals. I set some loose goals for myself, just to keep it interesting. At first, my goal was to find $1,000 in silver value. I think I'll still reach that mark by the end of the year at the latest (would be there already if spot price didn't nose dive shortly after I started). I also made the goal of trying to get a roll of silver for every denomination/type of coin that I can.

For the quarters: When I first started hunting I had some pretty good luck with finding quarters. For a while, I was finding one out of every two boxes or so. Now I'm at the point where if I buy four boxes, I'm pretty sure that I will find at least one silver. Give it a try. The next time you don't have a lot going on, buy 4 boxes of quarters and see what happens. Quarters are about the easiest thing to dump. You don't get the same looks you get from the bag changers when you are dumping halves or even dimes. They just assume you are from a laundromat or arcade.

OP
OP
C

Codes

Bronze Member
Feb 28, 2007
United States
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should be able to reach these goals. I set some loose goals for myself, just to keep it interesting. At first, my goal was to find $1,000 in silver value. I think I'll still reach that mark by the end of the year at the latest (would be there already if spot price didn't nose dive shortly after I started). I also made the goal of trying to get a roll of silver for every denomination/type of coin that I can.

For the quarters: When I first started hunting I had some pretty good luck with finding quarters. For a while, I was finding one out of every two boxes or so. Now I'm at the point where if I buy four boxes, I'm pretty sure that I will find at least one silver. Give it a try. The next time you don't have a lot going on, buy 4 boxes of quarters and see what happens. Quarters are about the easiest thing to dump. You don't get the same looks you get from the bag changers when you are dumping halves or even dimes. They just assume you are from a laundromat or arcade.

Thanks fish. The nickels and penny goals I've set should be easily obtainable since I primarily search nickels and pennies. The dime and quarter goals might be a little harder to reach due to my smaller CRH budget. I also have a pretty bad habit of picking up coins but not dumping until I completely run out of CRH money. Nevertheless I'm determined to reach those goals by the end of the year!

Thanks and happy hunting!

OP
OP
C

Codes

Bronze Member
Feb 28, 2007
United States
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Picked up $100 in quarters from the main branch of my favorite bank. Skunked. Payday is coming soon so hopefully I can snag a box!

OP
OP
C

Codes

Bronze Member
Feb 28, 2007
United States
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
6/14/2013

$500 box of quarters

Well I finally did it! I got my first box of quarters ever and found my first silver quarter ever!!!!

It came out of the 9th roll of the box and I was happier than Chuck Noland after he made fire.

photo.jpg

OP
OP
C

Codes

Bronze Member
Feb 28, 2007
United States
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone, it's been a while since I last updated my CRH log. I haven't stopped hunting but I've just been too busy to keep this up to date. Lots of changes going on in life (no pun intended).

Anyway, here are the results of my searches since you last heard from me:

6/22/2013

$100 box of nickels
$25 box of pennies

9 Wheats
26 pre-1960's including a nearly BU 1938 (pictured below)

OP
OP
C

Codes

Bronze Member
Feb 28, 2007
United States
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
6/28/2013